Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try the alfalfa hay and see if the deer will eat it. I personally use the pellets. I have started adding the alfalfa pellets to my corn and rice bran and the deer stand and wait for me to pour the food into the trough. They are being stressed by the dormant food sources and low protein content of the browse. The winter wheat should be getting hit fairly hard right now.

PS Glad you enjoy my posts. Feel free to ask any questions you might think of, I will be glad to help.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. They recognize the feed bucket and stand and wait for me to pour the feed on the top portion of a 55 gal barrel. If they are standing at the drum when I walk out and whistle for them then they trot off 25 yds or so and just stand. Huckleberry 75 has fed them too and they do the same thing. They are still wary but the overpowering need for food is making them trust me. We do not shoot this family unit of a mother doe,2 yearlings and a fawn. They are off limits. They are always together so when we see 1 we know the rest and very close. They now associate the whistle with getting fed. If they are close enough to hear the whistle then they appear in 10 -15 minutes. It is fun to watch them interact but right now the fact that their food is dormant and they are stressed I make sure they get fed daily. I am feeding 1/2 gallon of corn (6% protein), 1/2 gallon of rice bran(12% protein), 1/2 gallon of alfalfa pellets (20% protein) and 1/2 gallon of 12% sweet feed (12% protein). The corn supplies carbohydrates to keep them warm. The high molasses content of the sweet feed provides sugar. The bran and alfalfa supplies decent amount of protein. The deer are in 1 of 2 most stressful times in their annual cycle. The food is scarce and they will congregate where ever they can get something to eat. Dennis Hoddy and Roosta7 are seeing it too. If a hunter can afford to then they should keep the feeders going until Feb 15 at least. Green up should be near the 1st week of March depending on your location in the state. BTW the second most stressful time is July 15th approx to Sept 15th when rain returns. It is 1 thing to turn on feeders to attract deer to hunt and harvest them. A good steward of the land and resource will continue feeding to help the animals get thru the harsh winter. This is why I continue feeding and up the rations with added protein during this stressful time. I feel a sense of responsibility. I hope others will too. Its cold out and the kids need our help.
I hope I have answered your question OKlahomabassin, if not, ask again.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Deer Slayer. I am familiar with deer that act similar to what you are feeding. There is a row of houses that back up to a wooded creek bottom and many people feed the deer, they eat in gardens and flowers during the summer. The deer don't spook off very far. When people are present.

I added some protein pellets (20%protein 4%fat) and (13%protein 12%fat) about 25# each to 50#corn in the feeder last week for the deer. The alfalfa pellets I have found are about pencil diameter and a little too long for an auto feeder. They have just about mauled the turnips tops to the ground and the oats I planted in a food plot are just barely keeping up. There is a 200 acres of wheat field nearby as well. It all could use some rain.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklabassin- I would say that you are being a good steward and helping the "kids" get thru this difficult time. You are commended for your actions. The turnip tops have now changed from starch to sugar because of the freezes and the deer are clobbering them. YES, RAIN PLEASE RAIN!!!! Your feed mixture is fine. Ross Feed, I believe, in El Reno has some good products for the deer. I have been asked to assist them in formulating some seed blends this Spring for Spring/Summer plantings.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember everyone the deer are under stress due to the extreme cold. They need the corn and protein pellets now and lots of it. The bucks are worn down and could die in the extreme cold.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lablab is excellant choice for a warm weather food source for your deer. I would suggest you plant some black oil sunflower with it to provide a source to climb on. I would also suggest some cowpeas and some sorghum to go with it. This mix will provide a place to feed and hide since it will turn into a jungle. The mix will mature at different times providing high protein all summer. Whitetail Institute has a product that contains all of this. It is called POWER PLANT and will do a wonderful job. I have personally used it and was well pleased.

Hopefully I have answered your question.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fields are greening up now. My clover is coming out of dormancy and the deer are grazing on it some. I will finish up my corn, sweet feed and protein pellets in a few days and discontinue feeding until the middle of July when the deer experience their second stessful period. July, August and part of September is stressfull on the deer when their food dehydrates and the protein typically drops. I start feeding again.

It is time to get your mineral licks freshened and maintain them thru the middle to late July.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mineral lick has been freshened for the Spring needs of the deer. Depending on the pressure I will refill the spot in the early part of May and again in mid June.

Latest posts

Top Bottom