Food Preservation ... Recipes ... Questions ... Tips and Tricks ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody ever made homemade tomato juice? I have an attachment for my meat grinder that separates the skins and pulp, then puts the juice into another container.
Do you have to cook it afterward to reduce it as I'm sure its going to come out really thin. I'd like it to come out thicker like canned juice.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a buddy of mine just got one of these ... a home freeze dryer

Silver-Scientific-1024x1024.jpg

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
KFC's 11 Herbs and Spices Recipe

11 herbs & spices —

1) 2/3 Ts salt
2) 1/2 Ts thyme
3) 1/2 Ts basil
4) 1/3 Ts oregano
5) 1 Ts celery salt
6) 1 Ts black pepper
7) 1 Ts dried mustard
8) 4 Ts paprika
9) 2 Ts garlic salt
10) 1 Ts ground ginger
11) 3 Ts white pepper

Mix with 2 cups white flour

Note: The addition of MSG (monosodium glutamate) to this recipe is said to replicate exactly the taste of the original KFC chicken. “Accent” seasoning is MSG.

On another thread it was asked to clarify the Ts. They are assumed to be Tablespoons, but this is how Sander's aunt originally wrote it.

Last edited:

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll give another hit with the old defibrillator - CLEAR!!

I am pulling ingredients together to make my own vanilla and almond extract - if that goes well, I will try some other extracts. Got my beans in, vodka is ordered and being shipped to Omaha where I will pick it up. Just need to find some organic almonds and I'll give it a whirl. Not much to it, surely I cannot mess this up!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly, the old parboiled enrich long grain white rice will last for years if stored in a cool dry place. Since it is partly cooked it has no bugs in it too.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody ever made homemade tomato juice? I have an attachment for my meat grinder that separates the skins and pulp, then puts the juice into another container.
Do you have to cook it afterward to reduce it as I'm sure its going to come out really thin. I'd like it to come out thicker like canned juice.
I have!

I do not really reduce it any cause well.... Its juice and you want it thin.

Mine is straight tomato, nuthin else added!

I do not have the fancy powered gizmo, but my sister-in-laws cone shaped tomato thingy with wooden masher!

After I get the juice / pulp seperated from the skins / seeds, I dump the juice / pulp into a big stainless stock pot!

I bring that to a rolling boil for a bit with the pot lid on, then as it continues to boil I ladle in prepped mason jars, wipe, cap and seal, and set on a towel on the kitchen counter till the next day!

Good stuff!

I generally use the Rutgers tomatoes for the juice!

But have thrown in some brandywine pinks too.

This is where I would like to see Ball bring back the regular mouth 1/2 gallon jars, because I am cheap and the wide mouth is not needed for a juice jar!

1EB1070F-A5B1-424C-9A4F-4A516D2AE03C.jpeg
584C9148-63E7-467D-B9AE-E5224E7B2196.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom