Food Preservation ... Recipes ... Questions ... Tips and Tricks ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
next time I do this I will be adding some pectin to it... it turned out a bit thin.. but adding some corn starch when reheating it to eat made it just about right....but I am thinking that I would do it with out the chicken and add that from our canned chicken when we are ready to eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems perfectly safe as long as you follow the canning directions. Jars are sterilized prior to use, chicken is boiled (removes fat) and only white meat is used, pressure canning sterilizes the contents at the last step.

Clock, can you post the recipe and instructions? What do they say is good shelf life?

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sterilized 5 quart canning jars.

I cooked and shredded 4-1/2 pounds of chicken breast

Drained 3-15 ounce cans of pineapple chunks, reserving the juice

Diced 2 green bell peppers, 1 red bell pepper, and 2 medium onions

I layered in the jars... chicken, onions, peppers, and pineapple chunks.

In my large stainless steel saucepan, I combined...

3 cups reserved pineapple juice
3/4 cup brown sugar
1-1/4 cups white vinegar
6 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 Tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. ginger

I brought this mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Then poured the hot liquid into the jars, covering the layered ingredients, leaving a one inch headspace. I removed any air bubbles and adjusted the liquid as necessary.

I wiped the jar rims with a damp cloth, then tightened on my hot lids to fingertip tightness.

I processed the jars in my pressure canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes. After processing, I allowed the pressure in my pressure canner to drop to zero naturally, then opened it and removed the jars using my jar lifter. I set the hot jars on a folded dish towel on the counter to cool... and to listen for the PING of each successfully sealed jar.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkey Cornbread Casserole
3 pounds ground turkey or 3 pounds of finely chopped leftover turkey
3 packages of white cornbread mix
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
8 cups chicken broth
Enough Poultry Gravy mix for 10 cups of gravy
1 Tablespoon of Salt