Food Preservation ... Recipes ... Questions ... Tips and Tricks ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awesome video and yeah the bag was loud LOL I wonder what the price difference is between a #10 can of dehydrated mixed veggies vs DIY. Im gonna price bags at aldi and see.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awesome video and yeah the bag was loud LOL I wonder what the price difference is between a #10 can of dehydrated mixed veggies vs DIY. Im gonna price bags at aldi and see.

I think you will be staggered at the difference in pricing. I can dehydrate 9 bags of veggies (one bag per tray), pour them all into a quart-sized Mason jar and still have the "neck" left over at the top for head space to lay an O2 absorber. I only buy my veggies when they are on sale for 99-cents per bag or less ...

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

on the veggies I did the cost was $2.38 per LB... 1 LB ( 1 bag ) shrinks down to about 1 cup.... things like corn will be about 3/4 cup for 1 LB... maybe a bit more... I usually say 1 cup of whatever dehydrated will end up as a LB.... so anyway.. a #10 can has about 10 cups in it... so that would be around $23.80 for a #10 can.
freeze dried foods will last you much longer but you just don't know fully what your getting from them big boys... and its much more fun doing it yourself!

to use the veggies for say hamburger stew... use 1 and 1/2 cup of hamburger rocks, 1 cup of dehydrated stew veggies,
1/2 tablespoon instant minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
one 4 ounce can of tomato sauce.
about 2qt's of water ( add more if needed )
bring it to a boil stir, cover and reduce heat.. cook till you ready to eat it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 years probably... as long as they stay dry and dark you may get more time.

I'm working on year 3 with some ... Just to see ... They are stored in a room that stays dark and cool ... If someone will remind me next spring, I'll let you know how they taste ... Then we will move onto year 4 ...

That said, at some point in time I expect them to turn to powder in the jar. No way am I gonna get the same time frames that FD/DH stuff from the professional packing plants can come up with.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm working on year 3 with some ... Just to see ... They are stored in a room that stays dark and cool ... If someone will remind me next spring, I'll let you know how they taste ... Then we will move onto year 4 ...

That said, at some point in time I expect them to turn to powder in the jar. No way am I gonna get the same time frames that FD/DH stuff from the professional packing plants can come up with.

LOL then you will have fancy vegetable powder. you totally meant to do that right. ;-)

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moving my Videos to Vimeo.... YouTube just keeps pissing me off... checking to see how it works on here.
[video=vimeo;81143745]https://vimeo.com/81143745[/video]

Latest posts

Top Bottom