Food Preservation ... Recipes ... Questions ... Tips and Tricks ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 5 pounds of "ugly" tomatos at the Farmer's Market Saturday and just stuck them in the dehydrator to make "sun-dried" tomatos ... I'm not good at pics but I'll give it a try when they are done.

Some I will put in olive oil and store in the fridge, but most of them will go in mason jars, get sucked shut by the FoodSaver and stuck on the shelf. Without an O2 absorber, I expect they will be okay for somewhere between 12 and 18 months, but I'm gonna do 4 little half-pint jars for an experiment ... and let those set 24 months, 2 1/2 years, 3 years, and 3 1/2 years ... so ... this will be an ongoing experiment for you guys to watch (me, too, because I've found storage times all over the place on the www and besides, I'm the experimenting type! :D) ...

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about preserving breads like cornbread!!! Does anyone do this?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am not sure if you could do breads that have been cooked.
here is what we do for things like cornbread.
remove the package of cornbread ( we use jiffy ) from the box ( I like to cut off the back of the box with the instructions and add it to the vac bag ).
measure out the needed amount of powdered eggs and powdered milk and put them in their own little baggy.
put all items in a vacuum seal bag or jar and vac seal.

we do this with hamburger helper too.

makes kind of a grab and go all in one package thing.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about preserving breads like cornbread!!! Does anyone do this?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The best way to do this is to store whole corn and grind it into meal when you need it. Whole corn stores better than ground corn, just like whole wheat stores better than flour ... Baring that, clock152's method will by you quite a bit of time but the cornbread mix will eventually go rancid so you will need to rotate your stock.

If you are talking about cooked cornbread, freezing it is the only way I know ... unless you are talking about making dressing and then you can crumble the cooked cornbread up, dehydrate it and then vacuum pack it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes I cant wait, I hear cream cheese goes on sale around thanksgiving time. Im gonna stock up and can some!

It does ...between Thanksgiving and Christmas you can get it for a song all day long. I only have so much freezer space ... I've got all kinds of room -- like a spare bedroom kinda room -- for canned goods ... :P

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about spices? Cumin, chili powder, dried garlic, etc....
I've heard that heat really doesn't do em any favors, what about freezing?
I tried searching the thread, didn't see anything. Sorry if this has been handled already.

Latest posts

Top Bottom