for hunters - 30-06 VS 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have a place just south of Noble, we could take a shot out to 7 to 800 yards. I hope no one tries it but it's there. I will take a shot out to 400 yards with no wind...

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.... or we can discuss if 500 yard shooting is actually hunting LOL

Either caliber will do it, neither will do it particularly well. In field conditions you'll want to shoot a VLD @ 2900-3000fps. With 30 cal it puts you into magnums; or you can step down a caliber or two and save a shoulder.

Whats wrong with shooting game at distance from a field position? How is that not hunting? I've killed deer at 500 yds+. Hell of a lot easier to punch paper at 500 yds from the bench than from a hill, across a field, with your heart pounding from the rush of it all, when you are freezing your ass off, knowing that you need to make an ethical shot rather than just hitting the target. 7mm WSM and a lot of range time, thats my bag for rifle season.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
knowing that you need to make an ethical shot rather than just hitting the target.

Forget shooter skill, equipment, external and terminal ballistics - bullet flight time alone make these shots unethical. I have no problem with long range "hunting" - if you have the skill and equipment to make the shot, and are willing to risk animal moving - good for you; just don't pretend it's somehow ethical.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Forget shooter skill, equipment, external and terminal ballistics - bullet flight time alone make these shots unethical. I have no problem with long range "hunting" - if you have the skill and equipment to make the shot, and are willing to risk animal moving - good for you; just don't pretend it's somehow ethical.

How is it unethical? I know several people that can shoot better groups at 500 than most people can shoot at a 100 yards. If you go to the range and you know you can make that shot 99% of the time it's ethical. Just because you can't do it don't mean it's unethical.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MoBoost said:

....huh????

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it unethical? I know several people that can shoot better groups at 500 than most people can shoot at a 100 yards. If you go to the range and you know you can make that shot 99% of the time it's ethical. Just because you can't do it don't mean it's unethical.

Did you actually read my post? I specifically said that shooter's and equipment's ability was not in question - it's about time. Even fast magnums will take over half second to get there. Want to see what deer can pull off in 0.5 second - check out hunting section and read some bow hunting stories. At least with the bow you got a fair chance of both spooking and tracking the game; at 500 yards you don't do either - if it's not DRT ... then what?

Latest posts

Top Bottom