for hunters - 30-06 VS 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool story!

Isn't shooting from vehicles prohibited? Not helping the whole ethics thing here....

No young man, I wasn't in the vehicle, maybe I should have clarified things. I opened the truck door, now, if I am not in the vehicle, but outside of the vehicle. Good night and good luck as Edward R. Murrow used to say.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this old guy wasn't even going to say anything and I had not read the thread until a fellow OSAer called and suggested I post or repost the experience I had last year on opening day of deer rifle. I had always used an M1A for deer hunting and never had a shot over 75 or so yards. Last year I bought my first center fire bolt rifle. Put a Leupold 2.5 X 8 VariX III and decided to use the Hornady Superformance 308 Win 150 grain sst bullet for it and never tried anything else. Good friend, and more knowledgeable than myself helped me zero it in at 200 yds. Opening day last year of rifle deer I was near Lake Creek on my uncle's place. Killed a doe at sunrise, killed another doe at about 415 PM, both 80 yds or less, thought that is it I am old and tired going to the house, driving back towards the house I saw a fat buck, 8 point on the ridge just outside of the treeline watching my old red Toyota pickup so I stopped, and he stands there watching. I have a Redfield ranger finder good to 550 yds, so I pulled it out and it says 453 yds. I had seen the buck the evening before opening day and thought I will never see him again. All day as I sat I kept looking at the box of ammo, zero 200 drop at 400 is 20.1 inches. I opened the door of the truck window down and laid the rifle on the window sill. Raise it the scope up about 12 inches above the shoulder, I think. Fired, after recoil all I saw was the right rear leg of the buck sticking up. Got in the truck, drove up there and by God he was laying right there. I am old and after taking care of the two does and out of shape he was so fat I couldn't get him in the bed of the truck, but that is another story. Great rifle, scope and ammo, make things possible. Maybe I should add that the rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlite.

Not calling you out or anything, but the details of this story make it seem a lot like it was a luck shot. If you really did nothing more to prepare for the 500Yd shot than hold over by the amount indicated on the box (and you hadn't actually test-fired at 500yds to see where the rifle was shooting), then it absolutely was a luck shot. At 500yds with .308, the wind comes into play significantly (especially in a 150gr bullet) and the box is only stating basic measurements that were most likely tested (or a computer spit out simulated specs) under specific conditions.

That makes the shot very unethical in my opinion and just because it worked out doesn't mean its repeatable, or that it should be done at all (plenty of people get drunk and get behind the wheel of a car and nothing happens - doesn't make it ethical either).

The problem is that the equipment/training (or practice) required is more than just a good rifle, scope, the back of the box of ammo, and luck. It takes a lot of practice and discipline to be able to hit a shot at 500yds consistently (especially when you're adjusting to 500yds from another zero). I don't know whether or not you can hit a target with any accuracy at 500yds or not, but the above story makes it sound like with this rifle/ammo/conditions combo, you hadn't practiced that shot. There are plenty of people out there who can make that shot with 1/2 Minute or 1/4 Minute accuracy every time, but a lot of posts in these types of threads indicate that the majority of those most vocal cannot (yet want to justify it to everyone else).

I'm pretty comfortable with where I can put holes on paper at 500yds with either of my .308s, but I don't know how comfortable I am with shooting at a deer at that distance (cold-bore shot at temps/atmospheric-conditions that I'm not used to, with the wind doing what it does in Oklahoma, not to mention that shooting at a living thing means that it can move between the time it takes you to squeeze the trigger and the time of bullet-impact).

I don't think there's one "ethical hunting" distance that is universal, but its generally accepted that its set by the shooter's limitations.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No young man, I wasn't in the vehicle, maybe I should have clarified things. I opened the truck door, now, if I am not in the vehicle, but outside of the vehicle. Good night and good luck as Edward R. Murrow used to say.

Or, old man, you should quit poaching ... and brag about it on internet. You used the vehicle to spot the game and you used your vehicle as make-shift deer stand.

Hunting From Motor Vehicles
No person may harass, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to take, take, kill or attempt to kill any wildlife with the aid of any motor-driven land, air or water conveyance, except a non-ambulatory person may hunt from said conveyances with a non-ambulatory or motor vehicle permit. Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent the use of motor-driven land or water conveyances for following dogs in the act of hunting, when use of said conveyances is restricted to public roads or waterways. Said conveyances may be used on private property for following dogs in the act of hunting with the landowner’s or occupant’s permission.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF do the past two pages of posts have to do with the original question??? 308 or 30-06 at distance. Talk about a hijacked thread...

As for the question, Go 308. More loads tailored for that and more data from long distance shooters.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go .308 but thats just me and like..........my opinion man. There is no way i would take a shot at a deer at 500 yards, i'm not that good of a shot. Now maybe out in the panhandle at a pronghorn thats a diff story.

swcu_21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take my 308 Win VTR on any hunting trip that is not ELK or bear in the US. As an alternate for windy conditions and for Elk, skip the 06 and, take a 300 WM with a Remington recoil nearly all the recoil is eliminated.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never killed a deer at 500 yards or even close, but I have hunted a lot with both .30-06 and .308 over the past 40 years. My choice is the .308 because I like a short action rifle a lot better than a long action rifle. May not sound like a lot, but there's a lot of difference to me in the balance and handling. If I were hunting in a situation that would dictate or allow a 500 yard shot I would want to shoot my gun a lot with a cold barrel over a period of time to get a feel for the difference wind direction and speed make on bullet impact.

Cedar Creek

coug

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 30-06 is capable of a little more muzzle energy then the .308. both have what it takes to kill a white tail that far. shooting 500 yards consistently will be more about your optics than your choice between those to calibers. you will want to shoot a heavier bullet if you want to shoot 500yards. One with a high BC so it will maintain its energy out there. I would agree with the OP that the 7mm stuff is actually a little better for what you are trying to do. My choice in long range killer is a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. 6.5 or 7mm bullets are great long range killers.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with what you know. If Dad taught you on a .30-06, like mine, go with that. If you learned on a .308, go with that. As stated, the only advantage is the .30-06 can use heavier bullets. Otherwise they are ballistically similar if not identical.

Varments out to 500 or more I would use my .243 Winchester, but I doubt I would take a shot at a deer at 500 yards because I would be concerned with wounding him only and losing him, and thats no way for an animal to die, wounded and hurting in the brush.

Latest posts

Top Bottom