for hunters - 30-06 VS 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the 03A4 sucked.... I'd much rather use a Mosin 91/30 sniper. You're wacked out dude.

rifle: mosin / 03A4
barrel : test fire for accuracy / random
mechanical accuracy : good / good
scope : POS / surprisingly worse POS
scope mount: machined steel / cheapest they could find
magnificaiton: 3x / 2.5x
terget knobs : yes / no
BUIS : yes / no

Factor in that Mosin makes much batter battle club, and 03A4 is just seriously outclassed ...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably don't even have a real sniper rifle do you MoBoost? Some marlin wannabe perhaps?
Sniper rifle is any rifle in hands of a sniper - no scope knobs, camo paint jobs, extended bolt handles or some fancy hot gunsmith's name will change my mind - operator is the only thing that matters.

P.S. Scope on my Marlin is longer than your's!

tsmithwick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean here?
Learn how to use rangefinder? - it's one button operation, not exactly a learning curve.
As far as your MN example - take it to a match - see how well 5 hours stack up.

I'd be a hypocrite if I pretended that my unethical behavior wasn't such - I call it as it is;
Shooting prairie dogs at 500 yards is not ethical hunting, but it's fun and challenging, they need to be gone one way or another, wounded is just as good as dead. Unethical hunting - yes, hypocritical ... don't think so.

With operational costs at over $50,000,000 per kill, taking out multiple targets without risking troops sounds very logical to me. I am not military, and if you are and know better - my hat off to you, I retract my previous statement, and all ears.

I understand your national pride, but I don't think it holds any water.
Landing on the D-day US soldiers were on the wrong side of the curve - hunters just don't compare to 4-5 years of war hardened veterans. I'm sure there were some excellent marksmen in US forces, but (and it's huge "but") US sniper training was in it's infancy (unlike USSR, Germany, Japan, Finland, etc etc) and, let's be honest, 03A4 was the sorriest excuse for sniper rifle.

First im talking about the gun its self. Second if you cant beat me when ive just started major shooting then thats pretty bad. I was second in my high school rotc unit on shooting and the guy that beat me went shooting every other day. And i should have clarified US recruits were better than any other countries recruits and its was also close to having the best when it came to vets as well.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And i should have clarified US recruits were better than any other countries recruits and its was also close to having the best when it came to vets as well.
Again I applaud your patriotism - but you might be confusing the wars. Yeah, I can see that WWI soldiers were riding on the wind of conquering the west, outdoorsmanship and such. WWII generation was raised during Great Depression - not exactly happy go plinking time.
If I am misinformed - please correct me.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sniper rifle is any rifle in hands of a sniper - no scope knobs, camo paint jobs, extended bolt handles or some fancy hot gunsmith's name will change my mind - operator is the only thing that matters.

P.S. Scope on my Marlin is longer than your's!

Trying to compensate for something else with your long scope? Lack of shooting skills? Nunchuck skills? Bow hunting skills?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
rifle: mosin / 03A4
barrel : test fire for accuracy / random
mechanical accuracy : good / good
scope : POS / surprisingly worse POS
scope mount: machined steel / cheapest they could find
magnificaiton: 3x / 2.5x
terget knobs : yes / no
BUIS : yes / no

Factor in that Mosin makes much batter battle club, and 03A4 is just seriously outclassed ...

Hmm... how come I hardly ever see a 91/30 listed in the top 10 scores of the milsurp rifle competitions at Red Castle? I often see 03A3's, the occasional 03A4, and once in a while, a M39. But I can only recall seeing a 91/30 once or twice.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm... how come I hardly ever see a 91/30 listed in the top 10 scores of the milsurp rifle competitions at Red Castle? I often see 03A3's, the occasional 03A4, and once in a while, a M39. But I can only recall seeing a 91/30 once or twice.
There are a lot of things that go for 03s:
- it's American
- peep sights
- adjustable windage
- common caliber

However in my opinion it really depends on how snobby competitors are ;) It's hard to find another general issue milsurp bolt gun that demands $600+

P.S. http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/scores.html <- look through there, for how overwhelming use of 03s is - there is always something else in top 3; I guess we enjoy variety.

P.P.S. The 91/30 sniper you sold me is by best shooting milsurp I own - 10 round 2" group at 300 yards at a match is nothing to sneeze at.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
P.P.S. The 91/30 sniper you sold me is by best shooting milsurp I own - 10 round 2" group at 300 yards at a match is nothing to sneeze at.

Glad to hear it! Guess the success or lack thereof in shooting any given milsurp depends largely on who's behind the trigger. That rifle just didn't speak to me like my 03A4 does :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom