Forgive me........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just from dry firing I can already see that it's quite a bit different than a 1911 but I'll give myself a few hundred (more or less) rounds to get used to the G17 trigger and if I can't or determine that the strain isn't worth the gain I'll put it up for sale at a decent price.

I'm not a defeatist and I do want to master the Glock striker fired trigger and possibly down the road even start competing in GSSF matches in the Super Senior division but life's too short (especially when you're already 70) and if it doesn't eventually click in my head so be it.

Unless there's a trick to dry fire practice with the Glock getting the trigger to reset without ordering the dry fire trigger kit from the Glock Store for over $200.00 it's sort of a pain in the butt and gets old pretty quick......fire pull the slide back, fire pull the slide back.

https://www.glockstore.com/Reset-Trigger-Kit-for-Glock?quantity=1&custcol19=120
Actually you only need to pull the slide back about 1/2 an inch. They also make a dry fire kit for them so you don't have to pull the slide at all, but I don't know how much it is. Many Glock store sites have them.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just from dry firing I can already see that it's quite a bit different than a 1911 but I'll give myself a few hundred (more or less) rounds to get used to the G17 trigger and if I can't or determine that the strain isn't worth the gain I'll put it up for sale at a decent price.

I'm not a defeatist and I do want to master the Glock striker fired trigger and possibly down the road even start competing in GSSF matches in the Super Senior division but life's too short (especially when you're already 70) and if it doesn't eventually click in my head so be it.

Unless there's a trick to dry fire practice with the Glock getting the trigger to reset without ordering the dry fire trigger kit from the Glock Store for over $200.00 it's sort of a pain in the butt and gets old pretty quick......fire pull the slide back, fire pull the slide back.

https://www.glockstore.com/Reset-Trigger-Kit-for-Glock?quantity=1&custcol19=120

A striker fired gun is easier to master than a revolver or DA semiauto.

Here are some options.

I own all but the DryFire mag and I have spent a bit of time using one.
The most expensive and difficult to locate is the factory Glock 17R. It also has the worst trigger pull comparison to stock. I feel the best is the AirSort, the Gen 4 version, with the magazine blocked. It also best simulates the real Glock and gives a bit of recoil. The SIRT and the Coolfire work well. But the Airsoft is the winner. The coolfire is decent. But 8-10 shots is all it is good for. The Airsoft will go 80 or so.

d68467c9f5d664b26541a5b842cc2941.jpg
c5db19d56d5ddbddaa7f48f0e61296c1.jpg
c4f7f40b1c8d0f1321bd8d37b0bbc6de.jpg
e588e3a07ee84e9d9788fd39f8ce3203.jpg
73f822d564420704523ea80b76174486.jpg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One thing I have noticed when training people and trouble shooting my own issues. When a person shoots much “better” with a SA gun such as a 1911 than a Striker or Double action gun, the SA gun is simply masking the problem. Jerking the trigger, anticipation, pushing the trigger etc, are amplified with a heavier trigger pull. The SA just goes off before we see the full results of what they are doing.

I recently worked with a friend who was jerking the trigger and anticipating very badly. So much the he was adjusting his red dot to compensate for the downward movement of his gun upon pulling the trigger. As we started fixing the trigger he started missing the plates more at 25y. He was hitting them about 40-60% of the time. I finally started shooting his gun and was missing the plates myself, 100%.

I shot a few rounds at the 10’ target I had set up. At 10’, the POI was 6” high. [emoji15] Thats how far he was pulling the gun down with the trigger pull. His iron sight gun had a better trigger, and he was not pulling it down as far. A big training scar he had developed and placed into muscle memory that will take a while to overcome.

Anyhow, perfecting the Glock trigger will help out some 1911 trigger issue you might have that are less apparent now.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me John M. Browning for I have sinned.

I purchased a NIB Glock 17 Gen 5 and a 150 round bulk pack of Winch. 124 gr. 9mm ammo today.

Being a 1911 (first and foremost) and revolver guy all my life this Glock is now my only striker fired handgun and the first time I've ever owned anything chambered in 9mm.

Let the Games Begin !

I thought I felt a quake/tremor. It must have been John Browning rolling over in his grave.

Congrats!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my friends 9mm and it recoiled into my wrist way harder than my 45acp.
So the little girly 9mm recoil is not so much a fact.
Maybe his 9mm is that much lighter than my 45acp.
Look at the muzzle energy of a 9mm vs a 200gr 45 acp.. but my 45 loads are in the 800fps area.
His 9mm is +P stuff

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my friends 9mm and it recoiled into my wrist way harder than my 45acp.
So the little girly 9mm recoil is not so much a fact.
Maybe his 9mm is that much lighter than my 45acp.
Look at the muzzle energy of a 9mm vs a 200gr 45 acp.. but my 45 loads are in the 800fps area.
His 9mm is +P stuff

That’s a very good comparison of Apples and Oranges you made there.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
STOP! As a 1911 owner it will be instinct to want to immediately take your new gun to a gunsmith to get it to run right since its new. Don't do that is not necessary on a Glock. They amazingly run amazing strait out of the package. Crazy I know! All the money you would normally spend on a new 1911 sending it back to the manufacture 3 times or a smith to get it to run right. Those are things of your past my friend. Spend that new found wealth on Ammo.

As for the trigger there are things you can do to improve them if you want to do some polishing or replace some parts. As for reseting it. You don't have to pull the slide back far to get it to reset. So if your fully racking it, that isn't necessary. Just a short pull of the slide 1/4-1/2in should reset it. Or you can check out the options @Mad Professor listed.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of your input is greatly appreciated fellas....thank you.

Unless things change the temps. in the morning are suppose to be in the comfortable low 40's so I'm planning on heading to the range with the G17 and 150 rounds of ammo early......I know how I am and I've never been a overly patient person so hopefully things will click relatively quick. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom