fr8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have seen a fr8 and the rifle appears to be a neat truck gun. any experience? i ask as i may have to look at this week ends gun show for one? a good price to expect?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a FR8. It is a cool gun, pretty accurate, always reliable. I listed mine a while back for $450 or $500. Was going to throw in a "battlepack" of ammo. Had lots a offers for the ammo but none reasonable for the gun so I kept it.

The ones I've seen at gun shows run about my price, the fr7's a little cheaper.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FR8's are hard to find and expensive when found.

I have one, bought over 5 years ago and paid $400 for it.

The action is weak and designed for 7.62 NATO ammo or lower pressure. DO NOT shoot 308 ammo in it as it is to high pressure.

I shoot 30 cal cast in mine at about 1800fps, it groups into 2 inches at 100 yards if I do my part

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a FR8 walking around at the Wanenmacher show yesterday. I didn't know anyone was looking, otherwise I might've tried to get the owner's contact info.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an FR8 and like it a lot. It is nice and short, and plenty accurate (about 2-3 MOA with surplus). It has decent adjustable aperture sights. It is based on the K98 action which can easily handle any 7.62 or .308 spec load you can throw at it. I turned mine into a scout rifle, and it is perfect for that purpose. It required surprisingly little mods and money:

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_image_zps0cfd537a.jpg

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. i did not make it to the show i do nlt like the large crowds. i recently have seen a few on armslist in US, gun broker has had a few up for auction so i will keep looking. again thanks

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
FR8's are hard to find and expensive when found.

I have one, bought over 5 years ago and paid $400 for it.

The action is weak and designed for 7.62 NATO ammo or lower pressure. DO NOT shoot 308 ammo in it as it is to high pressure.

I shoot 30 cal cast in mine at about 1800fps, it groups into 2 inches at 100 yards if I do my part

Not intentionally disagreeing but I'm pretty sure this has been debunked. It's converted FR-7's that can't handle the pressures. FR-8s are fine.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ You are correct Lurker -- like I said in my earlier post, the FR8 is large ring /K98 based and can handle any 7.62 or .308 spec load and then some. The FR7 is a small ring, and some people worry about them running full house .308 loads.