Frog Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is going to be a weird question but are there any poisonous frogs in OK? Today we bought my daughter a jungle gym thing off craigslist and when I was cleaning it two frogs came out. They were a very light green color which didnt set off any alarms but when they spread out their bodies they had a bright yellow and black spotting all over the insides of thier legs/hip areas. I've always heard bright colors are bad when it comes to animals. I'm sure they weren't harmful at all but I'd never seen one like that or noticed the yellow at least. I just put em on the other side of the fence so they could go in the field just in case.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guess would be either the gray treefrog (Hyla versicolor) or the very similar Cope's gray treefrog (Hyla chyrsoscelis)

About 1.25 to 2 inches long. Light gray to green. Sometimes a solid color but often with markings on back. Undersides of the thigh are bright orange to yellow and mottled with dark markings. Enlarged toe pads. White spot beneath each eye.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this him?

awww.stabfrenzy.com_albums_kermit_kermit_1_.jpg

Isha's Pa Pa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard about 'bad' frogs in Oklhaoma ..... ????

Warning Toads have enlarged glands (called the paratoid glands) on the side of the neck, one behind each eye. These glands secrete a viscous white poison that gets smeared in the mouth of any would-be predator, inflaming the mouth and throat and causing nausea, irregular heart beat, and, in extreme cases, death. Toads pose a danger to pets, which may pounce on and bite them. Humans should take care to wash their hands after handling a toad, and to avoid touching the mouth or eyes until having done so

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this him?

awww.stabfrenzy.com_albums_kermit_kermit_1_.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:rollingla

That's Awesome!!!!!

Anyway, maybe it's one of those frogs ya' lick on and then trip nutz for three days...

Or.....you could take a tip from the ancient Mayans.
You see, they would "milk" the volatile secretions from the frogs which were in fact comprised of extremely paralyzing neurotoxins and often deadly hemotoxins.
Then they would fashion very lethal poison tipped arrows for their crossbows!

The Mayans very well could have fought off the European invaders with their deadly chemical weaponry, however, they encountered a great obstacle when they realized that the 27.5" draw length cams needed for their crossbows had recently been discontinued by Mathews....and this was obviously way before the advent of the internet so finding used ones on Craigslist was simply out of the question.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom