1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Fruit tree cuttings

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Ha, I'm far too lazy to do a fruit stand! However, there's a lot of lower income folks locally that I'm hoping can benefit from some fresh fruit. I really just like watching the stuff grow. It's like lithium to me, it helps to keep me somewhat sane.

Timmy59 likes this.
  2. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Is there any life to the tree at all? Do a scratch test and look for green. If there's any life, you may be able to take a cutting from it to put on another tree. Green apple /Granny Smith are one of the most popular variants and I looked all over for one earlier this year. Everywhere had sold out of them, but I do plan on putting a few in the orchard next season.

3. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    2021-22 and beyond your laziness is gone as you scope out the perimeter of your orchard.. Awaiting thieves who have an apple in they're eye..

4. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Ha! They're going to have to go a ways off of the beaten path to nab these apples. The only thieves that I'm liable to see in the orchard are deer and hogs, but the fence seems to be keeping them at bay (for now at least).

Timmy59 likes this.
  5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So, either my thumb is brown or I bought cuttings at the wrong time of the year.. Tree's go dormant this time of year.. Lesson learned.. I got a few to root but most are firewood.. I have been going bonkers buying seeds so this next spring I'll darn sure have my work cut out for me.. 3 colors of Elderberry seeds, black, blue and red.. chokeberry seeds, blueberry seeds and several more all berries of some sort..

Neanderthal and retrieverman like this.
  6. THAT Gurl

THAT Gurl Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Argh you are making me jealous!! (Good job!! ;) )

Timmy59 likes this.
  7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Because I might not be a patient or tolerant type, I've got more cuttings coming.. I'll package these to be stored in the fridge until the end of Feb, So far I have 2 types of figs and thornless black berries in the fridge.. I bought seeds but as said lack of patience and age says I should be doing cuttings and not seeds.. Still Learning..

Neanderthal likes this.
  8. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Good lord, you're as bad as I am...maybe worse! I have more coming as well. Plus, my wife got me a Russian Red Pomegranate for Christmas that I'm pretty excited about! Cuttings are a lot better than seeds. With half of the plants you never know what you're going to get from the seeds (especially trees or fruit), cuttings seem to grow faster and be a lot closer to the parent plant.

Timmy59 likes this.
  9. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    LOL, I am bent on making this place a food forest, and Berries are high on the list.. Bad nah, it's called determined..:hey3:..

RickN and Neanderthal like this.
  10. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That's awesome! I'm doing much of the same out here. We're going to have to exchange cuttings sometime!

Timmy59 likes this.