Furbearer season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Okie4570 - you are very much correct, it was!

That's during the decade I was tagging along with my best friend and his dad who trapped pretty much as a second job and is who taught me to trap. We lived for the weekends and getting to go run traps with him, and I can remember him keeping a notebook with his totals of animals and what he made on each fur. I can also remember looking through that notebook and thinking, "second job????, how about my primary job". lol Of course that kind of money for furs didn't last much into the 80's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's during the decade I was tagging along with my best friend and his dad who trapped pretty much as a second job and is who taught me to trap. We lived for the weekends and getting to go run traps with him, and I can remember him keeping a notebook with his totals of animals and what he made on each fur. I can also remember looking through that notebook and thinking, "second job????, how about my primary job". lol Of course that kind of money for furs didn't last much into the 80's.
Those were the days when people would pick up road kill. If it wasn’t mangled up too bad it was skinned and sold.
Didn’t see raccoon like we do now that’s for sure.
Agree with both. In the late 70's Uncle worked at a meat packing place in Arkansas City Ks while living in Newkirk Ok.
On his way to and from work he would pick up road kill. A fur buyer in Arkansas city would give good money if they weren't mangled up too bad.
He also ran a trapline between both of those towns which is about 8 miles, setting his traps in culverts, creek bottoms, etc that he ran daily on the way to and from work alongside the highway. In two years he made enough to buy a new pickup along with some money he had saved. Trapping was good money back in those days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom