Galco Miami Classic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My job requires me in a suit 100% of the time and setting for long periods of time. When I'm not working, I always wear either a short sleeved cover shirt unbuttoned, or a long sleeved cover shirt unbuttoned depending on temperature. IWB holsters are a literal pain in a short period of time, so I had to look into other methods of carry. I finally decided on the Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. After trying one on, it seemed like there was a lot more weight on the M&P 9c side, and the two loaded mags on the other side just didn't balance it out well enough. I also found out that my S&W 49 was hard to get out of my pocket, setting down. I'm ambidextrous, so I got an idea. :idea: Why not replace the mag carrier with a left handed J frame holster?

So here's my final rig:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

The mag holder almost takes two hands to operate, so the left handed thumb break revolver setup is a lot faster. I still have a spare mag in my pocket, but a second pistol will be a faster reload and will be the backup in case the other fails. The best part, the entire thing is easy on and easy off. I also decided on the wider straps to help distribute the weight a little better. I've been wearing it all day today and it works great.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neat idea!

I have always wanted a Miami Classic, but never could find one to try on, so I have a question. I am a LARGE person (280#), is there enough adjustment in harness to accommodate a larger person? I thought this would have better access than a pocket holster, especially setting. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Bud

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neat idea!

I have always wanted a Miami Classic, but never could find one to try on, so I have a question. I am a LARGE person (280#), is there enough adjustment in harness to accommodate a larger person? I thought this would have better access than a pocket holster, especially setting. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Bud

Well, I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. The straps still have a lot of adjustment in them. It depends on where you like your holster to ride. The closer they are up under my armpit the easier they are to draw. Meaning the holster doesn't move and give as much as it would more towards my waist. So with me wearing them that high, there is a lot of extra strap that could be let out for a bigger guy. Just guessing, but I think it should work.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I got the Galco Miami Classic for my 1911, and I am wanting to go with a left hand rig so I can carry 2 of them like you are. Look nice!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A word of advice for the "robust" guys. If you can find one (meaning if Galco makes one for your specific weapon) go with their "Jackass" rig instead of the "Miami Classic" rig.

Here's why.

I've worn both and I've found that the construction of the holster on the "Jackass" is made so that it moves the weapon a little more forward than that on the "Miami Classic" rig and you can also adjust it so it sits at a more comfortable angle than the MC rig. For a fat boy like me, it means I don't hafta reach around my torso so much to grasp the weapon.

That's just me. Of course, and as always, YMMV. :D

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow thats a sweet idea! Never even considered replacing the mag carrier on mine. Then again I'm not ambidextrous.

Neat idea!

Thanks
Bud

I'm 6' 230lbs and there is still plenty of room to expand. If you're ever in OKC, gimme a buzz and you can try it out.

Soulman what do you do that requires you to be in a suit?

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A word of advice for the "robust" guys. If you can find one (meaning if Galco makes one for your specific weapon) go with their "Jackass" rig instead of the "Miami Classic" rig.

Here's why.

I've worn both and I've found that the construction of the holster on the "Jackass" is made so that it moves the weapon a little more forward than that on the "Miami Classic" rig and you can also adjust it so it sits at a more comfortable angle than the MC rig. For a fat boy like me, it means I don't hafta reach around my torso so much to grasp the weapon.

That's just me. Of course, and as always, YMMV. :D

Actually the holsters only are Miami Classics. The harness with the wide straps is a Jackass. Also there is enough adjustment in the harness that you can angle the pistol any way you want. Since I took the pics, I have adjusted it again. I don't have mine in the horizontal carry anymore as seen in the pics, but the muzzle on mine is 45 degrees and rides up closer to my arm pit. Might work better to kinda gravity feed the pistol out more as a downward pull, allowing for a smoother draw. Also keeps the holster from poking out against the back of my shirt.

I had pmed you a while back about wanting a holster that would work with the bodyguard. I called galco up and they allowed me to order three separate pieces to mix and match to get the perfect rig for me. I didn't want one with the strap that went under the gun, over the trigger guard. Instead, this one rides low enough on the back strap that it will hold any J frame, including the bodyguard. Oh, and galco made it right with me on that J frame slide holster. They told me to call back when ordering something else and they would "work something out" and that amounted to 20% off and free 2-day shipping. Galco redeemed themselves in the CS department. :D
Wow thats a sweet idea! Never even considered replacing the mag carrier on mine. Then again I'm not ambidextrous.

Soulman what do you do that requires you to be in a suit?

Even switching from the left hand to the right hand still beats ankle carry. It also beats having it in a pocket if you're setting down and can't get to it.

I'm the "on call" chaplain for three of the local funeral homes, so I'm either working funerals or dealing directly with the families. I've also done about dozen weddings for friends and family. This preacher thing seems to be a good fit for me, but does require me to be in a suit 100% of the time and a lot of driving and setting.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using belt tie-downs with a shoulder rig will help keep it blalanced.
I know that Galco sells them for all of their shoulder rig setups.

I've used the Miami Classic but ultimately we just didn't get along. ;)

The absolute best shoulder rig I've ever used was the Alessi Bodyguard!
I bought one 6-7 years ago and the wait from Alessi then was around 24 weeks, but it wa worth it. The version I got havd a 'pull-thru' thumb break setup where all you did was grip the gun and pull...it would unsnap on it's own.
Alessi called it the "speedbreak" I believe and there were several versions of it depending on what gun you used it for.
It had really thin/supple but wide harness straps that were more comfortable than any other shoulder system I have used.

I'm not even sure if Lou Alessi is still taking orders but you oughtta' look into one when you get a chance.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, did you try it with the mag carrier and tie down straps?

Tie down straps + Galco MC/Jackass = Wrong

The entire idea of the Galco MC/Jackass setup is to retain your firearm while still being able to retain your full range of movement. It makes it uncomfortable, you lose the advantages of the straps holding it in place when you set down (makes slack in them), and it also defeats the "easy on and easy off" if you've got to snap and unsnap it from your belt and adjust it to the right place.

I've used the Miami Classic but ultimately we just didn't get along. ;)

The absolute best shoulder rig I've ever used was the Alessi Bodyguard!
I bought one 6-7 years ago and the wait from Alessi then was around 24 weeks, but it wa worth it. The version I got havd a 'pull-thru' thumb break setup where all you did was grip the gun and pull...it would unsnap on it's own.
Alessi called it the "speedbreak" I believe and there were several versions of it depending on what gun you used it for.
It had really thin/supple but wide harness straps that were more comfortable than any other shoulder system I have used.

I'm not even sure if Lou Alessi is still taking orders but you oughtta' look into one when you get a chance.

Yeah, I wanted one of those, but it was twice the price, so I just decided to get another Galco setup. I use one for a 1911 that I just sold dad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom