Garand Ordered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bob,

It looks like you did quite well! From the appearance of the chamber, I agree with Jim that that's likely the original barrel, which is a major score. The MW/TE numbers are very good for an original WW2 barrel, too. You have the foundation for a correction project, should you decide to go that route. An October 1943 rifle wouldn't be that difficult to make correct either, though it'd cost you some money :wink2:

The codes on the side of the receiver are the drawing number (bottom) and heat lot (above). The stock has a sans-serif P proof; it's likely a post-war HRA stock, but I can't tell without a top-down view of the back porch (around the rear of the receiver). Just for grins, you might remove the stock from the B/R and look in the barrel channel. If there's an alphanumeric code stamped (not inscribed or penciled) in the channel... ka-ching! You'd have a valuable IHC stock. The "RIA / EB" stamp on the butt stock indicates the stock went through the Rock Island Arsenal during Elmer Bjerke's tenure (1947-1958). If the stock is indeed a HRA, that would make for an interesting trip through RIA, as the stock couldn't have been more than a few years old when the rifle on which it was installed was sent in for a rebuild. A HRA M1 with a broken part, perhaps, with the stock being removed during the repair and later installed on your rifle? We'll likely never know.

What's also interesting is the date of 1-7-2014 on the CMP armorer's tag. This indicates the CMP folks are uncrating and sending out rifles as fast as they can, because up until last year it was common to see a date on the tag six to twelve months prior to the customer receiving the rifle.

I'd be pleased if I opened the case on that rifle, for no other reason than it's a WW2 issue, with an original barrel in good shape. Plus, it has a USGI stock instead of the CMP wood going out on a lot of rifles now. Enjoy! :thumb:

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks very much for that treatise - exactly what I was hoping someone would post. I was waiting to update the Garand Master List until I had some better information like this.

What are you looking for on the back porch? I can field-strip again after I get up later today and take another look.

Parker over at CMP has already offered to trade me trigger housings. He's got a -12 and is looking for a 65 series. I may go ahead with that. Thoughts?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks very much for that treatise - exactly what I was hoping someone would post. I was waiting to update the Garand Master List until I had some better information like this.

What are you looking for on the back porch? I can field-strip again after I get up later today and take another look.

Parker over at CMP has already offered to trade me trigger housings. He's got a -12 and is looking for a 65 series. I may go ahead with that. Thoughts?

If you mean me, my name isn't Tim :D Re: the back porch, I'd want to see its size relative to the heel of the receiver. On a HRA, it'd be significantly larger than the heel, while on an SA or IHC, it'd be smaller. I used to have a pic showing the differences between an SA, WRA, HRA, and IHC stock set side by side, but I can't find it just now. Here's a pic of what I think is an SA stock so you'll know what I mean:

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_Neat_SN_zps5fd1d843.jpg

This stock is pretty fat side to side, but it doesn't extend far past the rear of the heel. It could be a post-war Overton replacement stock, but since I don't have this rifle any more, I can't say for sure.

As for the trigger housing trade, it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. Do you want to go ahead and start correcting the rifle, or keep what may be an intact-since-rebuild M1? If I get lucky with a 1960s SA rebuilt rifle, I'll keep it "as is" unless there's a broken or badly-worn part.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure where I got Tim. Getting old. ;)

I'm not sure yet what I want to do, honestly. I may be better off just sitting on it for a bit before I decide. Lots to think about.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After looking at the album I agree with my earlier assessment; you did well.

It looks like your stock has multiple 'proofs'. I know I can see at least two. It looks like one is sans-serif and the other is with serif. It also kind of looks like there might be more than two but it hard to tell in the pic?

Also, looks like the rear handguard has a rack number. Some guys don't seem to care for them. Personally I can't imagine why. To me they are part of the history.

My advice on what to do would be to not do anything that isn't reversible. You see a lot of guys that just have to do something to their stock. I would resist that urge and just give it a gentle cleaning.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and while I'm thinking about it, if you have time, I'd like to see a close-up of the left side of the stock roughly below the rear half of the receiver.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I like the rack number, which is one of the reasons I'm holding off on doing anything to the stock. There's a total of 4 stamps on the stock as far as I can see: the 2 P 's, the RIA rebuild mark, and a U on the base of the pistol grip. Are you wanting an internal picture?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally missed that second proof mark on the pistol grip - most interesting. I believe Jim is wanting to see if there's evidence of an inspector's cartouche or ordnance wheel on the left-hand side of the stock, like this one:

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1s_WRA_20M1_20Garand_DSC_0399w.jpg

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Jim is wanting to see if there's evidence of an inspector's cartouche or ordnance wheel on the left-hand side of the stock,

Perplexed is correct and that is the area of the stock I'd like to see.

So, just two 'P's on the pistol grip, right? In the dings in that area I was kind of imagining I was seeing more than two.

I'm not certain about the 'u' on the pistol grip, but I believe that may have been a Greek marking.

As for the rack number, I like that you are taking it slow. If it were mine I'd buy another handguard before I'd remove the rack number. Opinions will vary on that, but that is mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom