Garand Thumb; Fact and Fiction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What about it? As a young man in military school,I was the "victim" of a Garand thumb,returning from "inspection arms" to "order arms".It's very painful much like slamming a car door shut on your thumb.

BTW,we were trained to "blade" the op rod so the trick was to remove your thumb before releasing the rod.Sounds simple but when you're standing at attention during inspection,mistakes happen.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my thumb caught in the Garand a few times. My step brother got his thumb slammed in my Garand also. The only difference between us is that when my finger got stuck i pulled the bolt back and removed my thumb. He just tried to rip his thumb out as quick and fast as possible. Took his fingernail and most of the skin off with it. When we got back home we said to my mom "Hey mom look! We tried shooting a apple off Cameron's thumb!" ....she did not find it funny

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my thumb caught in the Garand a few times. My step brother got his thumb slammed in my Garand also. The only difference between us is that when my finger got stuck i pulled the bolt back and removed my thumb. He just tried to rip his thumb out as quick and fast as possible. Took his fingernail and most of the skin off with it. When we got back home we said to my mom "Hey mom look! We tried shooting a apple off Cameron's thumb!" ....she did not find it funny

Well, I think it's damn funny. M1 Thumb usually ain't.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What about it? As a young man in military school,I was the "victim" of a Garand thumb,returning from "inspection arms" to "order arms".It's very painful much like slamming a car door shut on your thumb.

BTW,we were trained to "blade" the op rod so the trick was to remove your thumb before releasing the rod.Sounds simple but when you're standing at attention during inspection,mistakes happen.
Yep, very much fact. When I first joined the 45th in 62, I saw the more expereinced troops depressing the follower with their thumb and letting the bolt slam home. Didn't realize they were holding the op rod back with the right side of their hand. I was sitting around, playing with the thing and actually managed to get my thumb out, the first couple times.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I worry about this every time I use a clip to feed my M1-A instead of changing magazines. I keep a hand on the op rod just in-case.

Michael

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Army I was in taught us to use the back of the palm (blade method). The other method may have been in the book, but the old timers used what worked best. The blade method shouldn't result in M1 thumb, but I can testify that I've seen it done. Sort of like walking and chewing gum at the same time; some folks just can't do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom