Gas Mileage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@surjimmy reminded me of this true story/prank with his comments about 'raising' cockleburrs in the goathead thread. Years ago, one of the shops I worked in had an employee who was not the brightest crayon in the box. To label him "gray" would be an extreme compliment. Anyway, do you remember the gadgets (magnets) they sold years ago to put on the fuel lines in your vehicle to improve gas mileage? Well, he bit. He bought some and installed them on the fuel lines on his pick-up truck. Everybody else in the shop got together and devised a plan. They would take turns bringing a gallon of gasoline in a can every day and dumping it in his fuel tank when he was busy. It worked beautifully. He bit ... hook, line, and sinker. My gawd, his truck was "making" gasoline! He couldn't believe it! This went on for weeks, until someone couldn't stand it any longer and busted a gut laughing. Game over! True story.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I saw a movie where a guy next door had a VW and just went on an on about how good his MPG was. So the neighbor would go over every evening and put some gas in, making the VW just go ape over how good it was.
After a couple of weeks,the guy would go over and siphion some gas every evening. The VW owner started going to the dealer complaing something was wrong and demanding it be "fixed"

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@surjimmy reminded me of this true story/prank with his comments about 'raising' cockleburrs in the goathead thread. Years ago, one of the shops I worked in had an employee who was not the brightest crayon in the box. To label him "gray" would be an extreme compliment. Anyway, do you remember the gadgets (magnets) they sold years ago to put on the fuel lines in your vehicle to improve gas mileage? Well, he bit. He bought some and installed them on the fuel lines on his pick-up truck. Everybody else in the shop got together and devised a plan. They would take turns bringing a gallon of gasoline in a can every day and dumping it in his fuel tank when he was busy. It worked beautifully. He bit ... hook, line, and sinker. My gawd, his truck was "making" gasoline! He couldn't believe it! This went on for weeks, until someone couldn't stand it any longer and busted a gut laughing. Game over! True story.
Sounds pretty smart of him. He led yall on for weeks for free gas.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the add and take away gasoline thing to a buddy I told him after a week.
I had another friend I was to go race against.
He just built an engine for his truck and said the rings were not seated yet.
We were just out of high school and he worked at Hanna Auto supply in Moore .
Chad.
He had a Holley 4 barrel on his truck and weeks went by and still his rings were not seated.
He said the oil smells like gasoline and it runs terrible.

I snuck over to the Hanna auto and parked around back where his truck was and pulled my Quadrajet off my Oldsmobile
and stuck it on his Chevy engine I had the adapter bolts fuel line and filter everything I needed.
I hope the idle was set close to the same.
He did not know I done it and I left after I stuck his Holley 3310 on my car .
2 days later I called him and asked how the truck was running.

He said AWESOME! The rings seated a couple days ago and it runs great.
I told him what I had done. He did not believe me and went out and popped the hood.
Sure enough a Q jet sits where a Holley was.

It took me 2 weeks to get my carb back.
I had to sneak over to his house during a big football game on TV and do the swap.
I did not tell him I swapped carbs.
I spent all those days with his 3310 tweaking it to make it run as good as the Qjet carb.
He never knew I changed carbs, said it ran exactly the same.
We never did race :(

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along the same line, some years back-a few decades a guy bought. new VW Beetle and got to bragging to his neighbor how many MPG he was going to get. That night and for two weeks the neighbor who listened to him brag put a gallon of gas in his VW and the vW owner bragged on how many miles per gallon he was getting. Then after the two weeks he siphoned out a gallon of gas every night and the VW owner just couldn't understand why his MPG dropped so drastically until he was told why it occurred. That supposedly was a true story that I've remembered all these years.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best prank I ever did- when my brother got married, I wired his horn to his brake light switch...
That's a good one! Can you imagine today if you'd done that? Your brother would pull up to a red light and hit his brakes and the horn would honk-release the brake and the car would drift forward so he'd have to hit the brakes again (honk) to prevent hitting the car in front of him. And the guy in the car in front would get out and a fight would ensue. I still like that idea, it's a great joke! How did your brother finally figure out that you did the deed=and was he upset? I'm asking for my neighbor.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell "your neighbor" everything was cool with my brother. I mean, he talks to me and he's still married to the same woman for 30 years. He figured it out pretty quick and used the emergency brake to stop until he could cut the wires I put in. It was pretty funny. The back tires would lock up when he used the emergency brake and he would skid to a stop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom