Gearing up for fall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy and I are gonna start scouting this weekend several local areas for early season deer bowhunts, including public lands at Thunderbird and Lexington - you can bowhunt in Lexington right? We've also got 3 other private spots for deer within 45 minute drive, 2 of which are actually within OKC city limits! My buddy got a deer at one of these places last year with his bow, and we were within 2 miles of I-35, in the city limits. Gonna look for places to put stands up.

Next week I'm gonna replace my last year's 7 straw bales in the backyard with 7 new straw bales, as I do every summer, and start practicing with the bow August 1st. I stack 4 up in the back, and then stack 3 up on their "sides" in front of those 4, so the two stacks are about the same height, but so the "seams" don't line up so an arrow can't get all the way through both stacks. Then I put my block, bag, and 3d targets in front of the 2 stacks. There's also a wooden privacy fence behind all this just in case.

Also gonna start hitting some thrown clay pigeons at the range to get ready for doves.

Gettin fired up! :)

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my bow out yesterday and started shooting. Placing an order today for a new tree stand. You can box hunt Lexington, will be out there Saturday doing some scouting myself.

I am a little rusty on my shooting but not too bad.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Silverleaf shooting sports in guthrie, and shot 100rounds of sporting clays. We pretty much shoot clays every weekend at a buddies house. He has a real nice wireless clay thrower powered by a 12v battery. We try to practice real life hunting senarios, throwing the clays toward the trees, and so on.
I have a 10 acre patch of wheat that flooded out this spring that didn't get harvested. I let the weeds grow up in it, and will have the CO-OP spray it this weekend. About two weeks before dove season, I'll burn it off. That should make a great dove field. There are always dove in that area. Hoping this will concentrate them.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lexington is a good place to hunt, but there is lots of pressure. You will see alot of tracks and think ALLRIGHT...but never see a deer.

I will give you a hint, the deeper you go off the beaten path, the more of a success you will have, the down side is dragging a deer out to one of the roads is not fun at all.
Another downside is it is public, which means if someone wants to set up next to you, they can and do. Some hunters do not respect your efforts for your hunt.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Stillwater it is against the law to practice with your bow in town unless the backstop is against your house. That way you are not likely to shoot into a neighbor's yard. I am ready too. I am getting my recurve out to start practicing for McAllister AAP hunt in Nov. Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics this fall.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Stillwater it is against the law to practice with your bow in town unless the backstop is against your house. That way you are not likely to shoot into a neighbor's yard. I am ready too. I am getting my recurve out to start practicing for McAllister AAP hunt in Nov. Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics this fall.

I see the need for this law.

Several years ago when living in town, I had hay bales set up in the back yard with a privacy fence as a backstop. I had even put all thread rods from top to bottom with 2X4's to compress the bales.
I shot, the arrow disappeared, and I heard some commotion behind the fence.

Looking thru a knot hole, I saw the arrow landed in the midst of some kids playing 50 yds away. Put my stuff away, and never shot another arrow in town.

Latest posts

Top Bottom