Get an ACOG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with jakerz... I have messed around with ACOGs plenty, but prefer a variable power tube bodied optic. I do however love the ACOG's reticle. I wish there were more options in a tube bodied scope with that sort of ranging + BDC reticle.

I really like their donut reticle.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the minicog, the 1.5x ACOG, preferably with the green circle dot reticle. The 3.5x is much better than the 4x but for closer work the 1.5x is it. No batteries like the Eotech and aimpoint, huge eye box and relief, and that little bit of magnification helps a lot. I don't know why they don't push them harder, everyone that looks at it loves it. Harsh Firearms in Norman has several in stock plus some 3.5x if your in the area and want to compare them.

Being able to control my power setting is more important to me. I want to control what my dot looks like compared to the environment (dark looking into light). And the battery thing, when talking about an Aimpoint, the Aimpoint is actually more favorable then the ACOG. In 8 years (if I leave it on constantly) I can swap in a new battery and rock'n-roll. When an ACOG's tritium goes dim, you have to send it back to Trijicon. Don't get me wrong, Trijicon sights are robust good optics, I just feel the 1.5x ACOGS are not worth it. That extra half power is useless. The only thing it does, is screw with ya when shooting at targets. That's why people are always trying to find a "true" 1x scope when talking about a 1-4x. I'd take an aimpoint any day over one of the TA44's. Of course, this is just my personal opinion.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider a Leupold VX-R series, you can get 1-4x20 or similar options...they make fantastic AR scopes and one without the FireDot under $250 and with the FireDot in the $500-$600 area. My VX-R Hog was just under $600 but it was more than worth it, used it again today and I still love it as much as I did when I bought it. I was thinking today while shooting my Beowulf with it's VX-R that when I get my lightweight AR built that's probably the optic I'll go with on it.

RevThompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
to me it all depends on what your application is. I've used the eotech's, aim points, and trigicon acog's. I hate the fixed magnification on the acog's. if i were the one that was buying the optic i would just buy the magnifier. having the ability to go between 1x and 4x would be nice that way when in a short distance situation magnifier down, longer distance magnifier up, plus it's cheaper. if money is no object then buy the acog and a offset micro, or buis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom