Getting rifle scope on target

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Others may do it this way ..there are many ways to do it but here is mine.

25 yards or 50 yards if the paper is large enough to see where the bullet landed.

Shoot at the center of the target (bullseye). Shoot 1 more time to make sure it groups well, aim at the same spot.
Notice where the bullets hit said target.
If both are in the same spot but not in the bullseye then secure the gun in a rest.
Or hold it as sturdy and still as you can and have the aim point at the bullseye.

Now adjust the scope so the crosshairs move to your bullet holes, without moving the gun.
Now that you have done that shoot it at 100 yards and repeat.
3 shots should get you into the bullseye at 100 yards.

Depending on how steady you can secure the gun while adjusting the scope.
No flinching during the shots :)

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm lazy. Set up a large target at 50 yards. Set up to and take a shot at center and see if I'm on paper. Walk up shooting lowest on target, highest farthest left and right. Might get lucky.
At fifty, should get on paper.
Lazy man's zero.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Sight through the bore to get the scope on target (never had this method fail). My scoped rifles have been mainly bolt-action.

2. Shoot groups of 3 from a rest, check target, adjust accordingly.

Our 228 acre farm was mostly open pasture land, so I set the scope on my 30.06 approx 1" high at 100 yards for coyotes.

YMMV. :drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted pipelines and open fields with a 30-30 and 4X redfield scope.
I had it set to "On the money" at 250 yards it was 8" high at 100 yards.
When i got a 308 and then a 30-06 and .243 I was not using the 30-30 at all.

Hard to beat a good shooting 30-06.
A modern bolt gun will handle some stout loads that are above book max.
No operating rods to bend ;)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had some scopes that show arrows for up and down and left and right and they were backwards.
That makes you 2x farther from the bullseye if you adjusted by counting clicks.

I was at Banner watching an older guy shoot his 7mm rem mag.
He was shooting a decent group Sub MOA.. He took 3 shots and was about to adjust the scope by guessing how many inches the shots were off.
I stopped him and asked him If I could show him something cool. he had a led sled type shooting platform.. So the gun could be held really steady.
He said sure.
I told him hold the gun as still as you can on the bullseye and do not move it a bit and I will adjust the cross hairs until they touch the group of bullets.

He looked a bit puzzled and said go for it.
His next shot hit the bullseye right smack dab in the middle.
He looked over at me and said I think I hit the center.
I was spotting through my scope and said yes you did..He asked should I shoot another..Your gun shoot it.
1/2" to the left.. One more he said.. that one planted touching the other one in the center.

He said:I never got the scope on target after 3 shots.. usually a box of ammo is what it takes, never seen a scope adjusted that way and I have been hunting for many years..I am doing it this way from now on if ya don't mind.
Right on.
But like I stated there are many ways to get there as long as we get there :)

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had some scopes that show arrows for up and down and left and right and they were backwards.
That makes you 2x farther from the bullseye if you adjusted by counting clicks.

I was at Banner watching an older guy shoot his 7mm rem mag.
He was shooting a decent group Sub MOA.. He took 3 shots and was about to adjust the scope by guessing how many inches the shots were off.
I stopped him and asked him If I could show him something cool. he had a led sled type shooting platform.. So the gun could be held really steady.
He said sure.
I told him hold the gun as still as you can on the bullseye and do not move it a bit and I will adjust the cross hairs until they touch the group of bullets.

He looked a bit puzzled and said go for it.

His next shot hit the bullseye right smack dab in the middle.
He looked over at me and said I think I hit the center.
I was spotting through my scope and said yes you did..He asked should I shoot another..Your gun shoot it.
1/2" to the left.. One more he said.. that one planted touching the other one in the center.

He said:I never got the scope on target after 3 shots.. usually a box of ammo is what it takes, never seen a scope adjusted that way and I have been hunting for many years..I am doing it this way from now on if ya don't mind.
Right on.
But like I stated there are many ways to get there as long as we get there :)
I've done that before when I have a sled/vice or another fixed platform. That does work great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom