Getting Started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read through a whole bunch of posts, both here and scattered across the forum, and while each post is helpful, I haven't really found a good "Getting Started" post.

I'm looking for something like a general overview of what's out there, with good suggestions for starter guns. For example, I know someone mentioned .303 ammo is drying up. But what effect will that have on Enfields? Will it send the price up or down?

I don't have much to contribute here, but it'd be nice to have a good source of information that we could sticky.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I say just jump in, not too many milsurps depriciate. Reloading is always an option.

Mosin
yugo mausers
vz24
Turks
swedes

thats a start. I started with a couple of spanish mausers, .308, 7x57. Then got an fr8, a mosin and a unknown caliber mauser that i think is either a Boer or chilean 7x57, 93 or 96.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It'd be hard to say what's out there at any given moment, since the supply of one or another of a specific milsurp firearm can dry up or open up. In general, you can assume they won't be in plentiful supply, nor will the milsurp ammo. If you could give us an idea of what you'd like in a "starter" milsurp, then we could help - for example, are you looking at handguns or long arms? Revolvers, bolt actions, or semi-auto's? Any particular caliber? Do you want a cheap plinker, or are you looking for a tack driver? Do you want to go hunting with the firearm? Are you willing to reload? And so on.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not asking just for me, but for general tips and advice for anyone getting started with milsurp.

Personally, I'm looking for a rifle right now, but I'm not really picky about bolt vs semi-auto. Mosins look nice, but so do Springfields.

Been, why would you point anyone at a VZ24?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really have no preference and aren't picky about a starter milsurp, then you can't go wrong with a Mosin Nagant 91/30. They're relatively cheap, the milsurp ammo is cheap (and corrosive - clean accordingly!), and accuracy usually is decent and can be improved through a little trigger and bedding work.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not asking just for me, but for general tips and advice for anyone getting started with milsurp.

Personally, I'm looking for a rifle right now, but I'm not really picky about bolt vs semi-auto. Mosins look nice, but so do Springfields.

Been, why would you point anyone at a VZ24?

I personally thing they are fine rifles. Inexpensive, Smooth action, Relatively accurate, Cheap ammo, High quality of manufacture. Some have dinged up stocks, but nice ones can be found.

Latest posts

Top Bottom