Glock 19 Gen 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of 19s, and the only complaint I Have is the glock sights are awful. Who ever thought an open box with a dot is a good idea needs to be checked for mental acuity. Swap for some different sights and boom awesome gun! I also recommend getting G17 mags as they work in both 17 and 19s because eventually, if you don't already have one, you will buy one.
I bought my G19 Gen 5 with the blue label deal from GT several years ago, and they also offered it with the Ameriglo sights already installed which was about $80 more if I remember correctly. And yes, the blue label deal goes through November 11 this year.

I agree that the Glock sights are not good. I also bought a Glock 44 which is the same size as the Glock 19 but have not changed the sights. But, a little bit of creative enhancement with a white Sharpie paint pen makes them just fine for a .22 to practice with.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All this stuff going on with Hide’n Biden has me worried. So I ordered a Gen 5 G19 to ease my anxiety from GT Distributors. Should have it in my hands just in time for my deep sea fishing trip. Go Redskins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you able to get it shipped to you somewhere ? or just will have to go pick it up at GT ? My son-in-law went to the GT in Dallas a few weeks ago and got there about 1:00 on a Friday afternoon and the line was a 3 hour backup. I went the next Friday to buy my Glock 44, got there 1/2 hour before they opened and was first one in the door. In and out in 20 minutes.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my G19 Gen 5 with the blue label deal from GT several years ago, and they also offered it with the Ameriglo sights already installed which was about $80 more if I remember correctly. And yes, the blue label deal goes through November 11 this year.

I agree that the Glock sights are not good. I also bought a Glock 44 which is the same size as the Glock 19 but have not changed the sights. But, a little bit of creative enhancement with a white Sharpie paint pen makes them just fine for a .22 to practice with.

My creative work with a Sharpie on Standard Glocks sights involves a Black Sharpie on the rear sights to black out the white “goal post”!

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My creative work with a Sharpie on Standard Glocks sights involves a Black Sharpie on the rear sights to black out the white “goal post”!
The problem I mostly had with them is that it is hard for me to pick up the top of the front sight and align it with the top of the rear sight. So, I painted a horizontal white stripe above the dot at the top of the front sight, and painted horizontal white stripes at the top of the rear sight. Now I look for the straight horizontal line across both sights for aiming. I guess I could black out the white goal posts too but I really don't even notice it now that I am focused on that white horizontal line.

Without that I found I was kind of trying to get the top of the ball to align with the top of the goal posts and that was actually causing me to aim higher than I really wanted. I now find that when I have a proper sight picture with the top of the sights, the bottom of the white ball is actually touching the bottom of the goal posts, or actually even embedded slightly below them

I don't have a problem with them being plastic sights, but really a crappy sight design if you ask me. But my son-in-law saw what I did with mine and now wants me to paint both his Glock 44 and his Glock 22 which have Glock sights on them. He has a red dot sight on his Glock 17 but he's not crazy about it either.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you able to get it shipped to you somewhere ? or just will have to go pick it up at GT ? My son-in-law went to the GT in Dallas a few weeks ago and got there about 1:00 on a Friday afternoon and the line was a 3 hour backup. I went the next Friday to buy my Glock 44, got there 1/2 hour before they opened and was first one in the door. In and out in 20 minutes.

I had them ship it to Sooner State Pawn; $15 for shipping. Two days from ordering to delivery.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had them ship it to Sooner State Pawn; $15 for shipping. Two days from ordering to delivery.

That's interesting because I tried to get them to ship my G44 to my shooting range FFL and they would not do it. But they did tell me that Dallas GT Distributors had them in stock so I just went and picked it up. Somehow I got the impression that they would not ship to my FFL but obviously that was wrong.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem I mostly had with them is that it is hard for me to pick up the top of the front sight and align it with the top of the rear sight. So, I painted a horizontal white stripe above the dot at the top of the front sight, and painted horizontal white stripes at the top of the rear sight. Now I look for the straight horizontal line across both sights for aiming. I guess I could black out the white goal posts too but I really don't even notice it now that I am focused on that white horizontal line.

Without that I found I was kind of trying to get the top of the ball to align with the top of the goal posts and that was actually causing me to aim higher than I really wanted. I now find that when I have a proper sight picture with the top of the sights, the bottom of the white ball is actually touching the bottom of the goal posts, or actually even embedded slightly below them

I don't have a problem with them being plastic sights, but really a crappy sight design if you ask me. But my son-in-law saw what I did with mine and now wants me to paint both his Glock 44 and his Glock 22 which have Glock sights on them. He has a red dot sight on his Glock 17 but he's not crazy about it either.

If it works for you, great. I personally find that a less distractive rear sight lets me focus harder on the front sight.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting because I tried to get them to ship my G44 to my shooting range FFL and they would not do it. But they did tell me that Dallas GT Distributors had them in stock so I just went and picked it up. Somehow I got the impression that they would not ship to my FFL but obviously that was wrong.

I was in the Dallas store and they could not let me buy a gun and ship it to my Oklahoma FFL. They said I would have to call the Austin location and do it. [emoji2371]

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it works for you, great. I personally find that a less distractive rear sight lets me focus harder on the front sight.
I've tried to get a picture but hard to get good focus. But the key thing for me is to be able to actually see the top of the front sight and line up with top of rear sight. I could black out the goal posts too and try that.

Hard to get this in focus but I think it gives the idea. I will be on the lookout at some point in time for some better sights to put on it because it still shoots high with the rear sight as low as it goes at 15 yards.
IMG_1384.JPG

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have changed out all of my Glock sights with good quality night sites. All except my G19.5.
I had it milled for my Trijicon RM07 and added Trijicon suppressor sights to co-witness with the dot.

G19.5 RMR.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom