Glock 23 Gen 4 - Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you loved glocks? You always seem to talk about how wonderful they are. :)

Do you try and make it your personal mission to get people away from them? You post crap about the "upgrade" in every single glock thread. I bet if we googled "1911 problems" we might also get a couple of hits.

Every thread? A bit dramatic..... :D

Just giving what was previously given by the OP in random 1911 threads. Irony is that he's having problems with the same "reliable" glock he wanted to meet people at the range with.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every thread? A bit dramatic..... :D

Just giving what was previously given by the OP in random 1911 threads. Irony is that he's having problems with the same "reliable" glock he wanted to meet people at the range with.

You were more than welcome to come to the FGST Eat N' Shoot today. We had a great time, who would have been welcomed with open arms.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will make the next Tulsa one if I can..... 1911s and all. :D

We talked about the Tulsa ones today. They seemed to have fallen off. Perhaps you need to get the boys and gals rounded up!

I'm in for it.

Re the failure to feed with the TLR, this was a known issue on Gen 3 .40s. The keeps the frame from flexing as its meant to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in for it.

Re the failure to feed with the TLR, this was a known issue on Gen 3 .40s. The keeps the frame from flexing as its meant to.

I think that it is an issue on the Gen 4 Glock 23s as well....at least judging from my experience. Every failure I have had with this pistol has been when there is a light on it.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that it is an issue on the Gen 4 Glock 23s as well....at least judging from my experience. Every failure I have had with this pistol has been when there is a light on it.

Very well could be. I haven't heard about it on Gen 4s, doesn't mean that it's not the same issue.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in for it.

+1. .40 Glocks are known to have problems with lights. I've had better luck with polymer lights like Insight rather than metal tubes like Streamlight and Surefire.

Also, Glock 23s are known to be picky with 180gr bullets compared to the Glock 22. I use 165s in my 23....not sure if that helps.

bsd230

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

At the FGST Eat N' Shoot today, I ran into some problems with my Glock 23 Gen 4. This pistol is one that I have had going on two years, and I have put several thousand rounds through it with nigh a problem. The only time that it has failed to fire was when I had one round of TulAmmo that had a hard primer. Outside of that one instance, everything has been golden.

Until today.

At the shoot today, the gun range in Edmond, OK (Safety 1st Gun Range) did not allow me to shoot my TulAmmo, so I decided to go ahead and shoot my expensive 40 S&W Federal HST JHP ammo + one magazine of standard brass case ammo. simply put I had two failures to feed. The round was sort of facing donwards right before the feed ramp. The first time that it happened, I sort of brushed it off and did not think about it and went on my merry way. I fired another magazine and everything was golden. I put the third magazine in and I had another failure to feed, and that is when I realized that there was probably a real problem here. 3000 rounds no problem and suddenly I had two failures to feed in three magazines.

The big difference between the 3k rounds and today? I have installed a Streamlight TLR-1S on my pistol, and I think that this is the culprit. For whatever reason whenever I installed the light, I think that it did something that dramatically affected the reliability of the pistol. The malfunctions happened on two different factory Glock Magazines, and I was shooting good quality ammo, and the pistol was not really THAT dirty (especially for Glock standards). So all in all, I am blaming the light and I am taking it off in next hour or so.

Here are some pictures of the problem. As you can see, the Gun is not all the way or all the way out of battery. Like the Incredible Hulk in the episode "Prometheus", it is stuck in between:

10255951_10100862693981581_4993837589577334526_o.jpg

1661906_10100862694076391_3208958784341462496_n.jpg

10256758_10100862693976591_5542630125865253896_o.jpg

10155494_10100862693811921_3529023824516775919_n.jpg

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jestik

I've used to have a Glock light on the front of my G17 and G19 and never had an issue. I own a TRS-1, but I have never had it mounted on a Glock. I no longer have the Glock light, but I didn't notice a huge difference in the weight. Maybe there is and I didn't realize it. I'm a lefty, so I actually like the switches better on the Glock.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The weight of some of the lights attached to the frame affects the harmonics of the frame and causes the failure of the round to feed out of the magazine. Glock's remedy to this is to change out the magazine springs to springs with additional coils. If you call Glock, they will probably upgrade the springs for free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom