Glock 40 10mm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the range yesterday morning a gent that I know from seeing each other at the range let me run a 15 round mag through his 10mm Glock 40 that he had mounted a red dot sight on.

Never having shot a red dot (or a G40) I found, at least to me, factory white three dot sights are easier and faster to acquire on target and the 10mm is noticeably snappier than what I shoot most often which are my 1911's in 45 ACP.

I held my own and was able to keep all but the first two rounds on the 25 yd. gong and maybe it was just the way I was gripping the gun but the bottom of the trigger guard was digging in to my middle finger and I had a noticeable dent in my finger after running the full mag......I believe I've read that some Glock shooters will undercut / grind away part of the trigger guard to alleviate getting bit.

I'm not going run out and pick up a G40 today but I'll admit that other than my middle finger getting bit pretty good by the trigger guard I did enjoy shooting it.

Glock 40.jpg

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Glock 29, and really liked shooting it. But It's just too darn fat for carry so I got rid of it. Glocks are fairly cheap, so if I need to go somewhere that dangerous game, like freakin' bears, are likely to be sniffing around, I'll buy another Glock in 10MM, probably a Glock 20 this time, and stoke that bad boy up with hard cast rounds from Underwood Ammo. Watch out Yogi, I'll blast you and your little pal Boo Boo to bear hell!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Glock 40 10mm with a Trijicon RM06 optic on it. The underside of the trigger guard does rap that 2nd knuckle of the middle finger and yes, it's pretty easy to sculpt and undercut the fat part of the trigger guard there to alleviate that issue. As for the Glock 40 itself, if your hands are big enough I find that using the large backstrap with the extended tang really helps tame the snappiness of hot ammo. I can't prove it, but I think it flexes slightly under recoil and increases the dwell time of the recoil impulse to the hand.

I got one of the very first blue label 40's in Oklahoma. Other than adding the RM06, tall sights and a .25 cent trigger job with a 3.5# connector, it's still stock. having run several hundred rounds through it here are my observations. It's a big gun in every dimension. It's lighter than it would appear, even when loaded with 16 rounds of 180gr ammo. That doesn't mean it's light by any means, just lighter than the fat would imply. Other than the underside of the trigger guard I actually find it quite comfortable to shoot with hot ammo. I mostly shoot Underwood because it's cheaper in volume than Buffalo Bore.

On accuracy, well it's a Glock. By that I mean that the barrel/slide/frame fit is typically Glock. I've always found the compact Glock 30 .45ACP to be one of the most inherently accurate Glock models of all. I have fired quite a few of them installing night sights for LEO's and univerally, they're easy to sight in because they shoot nice tight groups. The Glock 40 isn't the equal of the Glock 30 IMO. It could greatly benefit from a hard fit match barrel. I've had the opportunity to shoot it side by side with my friend's Springfield XD-M 4.5" OSP 10mm, and it's more accurate than my 40.

That's not to say the 40 is inaccurate because it's not. But this isn't a Glock 19 or some other minute of man CCW gun. It's primary uses would trend towards large animal defense which it would be great for, medium game hunting for which it will work well as long as you exercise restraint on range and low aspect shots, and target shooting at steel silhouettes or plates at range, which it will do OK. It will do the latter better off the bench or in a supported position, where the drawbacks of the trigger type can be controlled and mitigated more efficiently than offhand. Here the OSP beats the 40 as well.

Overall, here's my synopsis. It's a poor substitute for a STI Perfect 10, which would be my ideal 10mm. But I have $800 in this 40 all in, whereas the Perfect 10 would run me around $3K similarly equipped. That's $2,200 in ammo I can buy for the difference, which some might say would go quite a ways towards improving MY inherent marksmanship. Still, I want a Perfect 10 or equivalent custom hi-cap 1911 at some point. I really enjoy shooting 10mm and have no plans to move away from the cartridge.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You 10mm guys need to pick up all your brass at the range. I'm sick of getting a good flow going while reloading .40 and then a 10mm jumps in to ruin it.
Same with .380 shooters.

If I shoot 100 rounds of 10mm at the range and I only find 97 of them? I consider it a deep personal failure. :(

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You 10mm guys need to pick up all your brass at the range. I'm sick of getting a good flow going while reloading .40 and then a 10mm jumps in to ruin it.
Same with .380 shooters.
So , your blaming other people for your inability to inspect your brass!! So maybe it is time to change you name to lazy bastidge, but keep the avatar it is a good one LOL.:cool: