Gold and Silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There will always be those guys that will take your gold & silver in trade for what you're looking for. They've been around for thousands of years. With that said I wouldn't get carried away with it. $100 dollars face value of silver coins and 20 to 30 ounces of silver bullion would be sufficent. This stuff will always have value.

ok_general

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what HIGGIMW said. Gold and silver won't be worth anything until the economy starts coming back around. Water, food, bullets, guns, etc. are going to be worth alot more when SHTF. Just my opinion.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My concern is that if it hits the fan and I need to use it for services that it will not be readily identifiable as say a 95% silver Quarter, Dime or nickle (pre65) etc. Thoughts?

It's 90%.

rebelracer79

And silver dollars, I have a but load of 65-70 40% silver halves

Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Perplexed

Re: Gold and Silver
Quote Originally Posted by Hump66 View Post
Silver currency is 64 and older BTW. Dimes and quarters only.
And the half dollar.

You forgot war nickles and various other silver coins.

Check this out http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would only buy gold or silver as investments. Im with Honeybee, gold rings and cheap jewelry might get traded, but if SHTF, someone will kill you if its worth much.

You should read the Selco blog. Barter items more valuable than gold are liquor, batteries, solar chargers, bic lighters, ammo, firearms, medicine, even sanitary wipes.

Absolutely second this advice! It will put to bed some of the preconceived notions of what to do in case of SHTF.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also in the camp that believes gold and silver will be worthless if SHTF. I'm betting ammo, liquor, and cigarettes will be the best currency.

Same here. I find the whole thing about silver content nickels and dimes funny. Rawles and the Survivalblog crowd really push that one. Yeah, gold/silver have been used throughout history but almost always in the presence of a organized government/trade environment. I'm sure there will always be somebody trading in precious metals...but not many folks that I know.

In a total collapse, if I have eggs or honey to trade...I'm laughing my ass off if you try to offer me a sack of nickels. If you have ammo, flour, booze, medicine then I'm tradin'.

Outside of a total collapse, if the US government is still intact, that sack of nickels is just a sack of nickels to me. Is there any precious metals dealer in the OKC area that takes U.S. legal tender in trade for silver spot prices?

I will say that I think actual gold/silver IS a good hedge against inflation and a possible investment for normal economic ups and downs...but I just can't see it in a collapse.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just playing devils advocate, but if ya have too much honey or too many eggs or too much Liquor to trade that could be bad as well.

In the absence of laws I would only trade with people I know, never in an open or black market. Well i shouldnt say never, one never knows. Lol.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While there a few people whose greed will overcome their sense when it comes to coin of the realm, the best barter items will likely be: .22LR ammo, cigs, loose tobacco, coffee, tea, shite paper, sugar, and Hershey bars followed by other ammo, antibiotics, med supplies, non-internal combustion transportation, and so on.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just playing devils advocate, but if ya have too much honey or too many eggs or too much Liquor to trade that could be bad as well.

Yeah, but at least I can eat extra eggs and honey....a worthless sack of friggin nickels would be awful tough on the teeth and absolute murder coming out the other end. LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom