Gold and Silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watcha gonna do when the travelin' traders come through your town with extra eggs & honey, which you want, and they are only takin' payment in nickels? You gotta think outside the box. No one is saying to put all your preps into nickels. But it would be wise to consider keepin' a small bag of nickels alongside those extra cases of toliet paper.

I agree with having a diverse plan...but let's play it out for friendly discussion sake.

My question: Why would the merchants be taking silver content US legal tender coins in trade? What inherent worth do they have in a collapse situation?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What made sea shells valuable enough to use as currency in the past? People will always want precious metals and gemstones. They may not have the same value in a collapse, but people will still want them for themselves or for future trading/bartering.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with having a diverse plan...but let's play it out for friendly discussion sake.

My question: Why would the merchants be taking silver content US legal tender coins in trade? What inherent worth do they have in a collapse situation?

They have a worth independent of their preceived monetary value. Silver or gold can be used for things other then being a currency. We could postulate for hours about what things might be like after a collapse. 1 thing comes to my mind is that we have become very dependent on electronic devices. I suspect to some extent that we will still try to use them.

Gold and silver are often used in the manufacturing of these electornics. So someone is going to set up a stall or tent and offer electronic repairs. He may need silver to repair circut boards, etc. Just use you imagination.

Then after things stabalize even further I can envision jewlery coming back into vogue. The possiblites run on. So a travelling honey and widget merchant comes through your area at the weekend swap meet and garthering that's sprung up on the outskirts of your enclave. The honey merchant travels long distances gathering all different kinds of honey. So he takes his payment in silver quarters. You just happen to like fireweed honey like myself and he's got some for sale. It's a luxury item but I've got a few rolls of silver quarters so I break out a couple and buy two jars.

Don't just think about your survival in the SHTF moment. You've got to think long term to. I've gone so far as to include extra solar panels and wiring in my kit. Oh, and about 2 dozen standard light bulbs. Think outside the box.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definately see/agree with the industrial/scientific value of gold and silver. I just don't buy into the "inherent value" of something based on speculation and supposition. Hell, just look at diamonds and their phony "inherent value". Purely manipulated by DeBeers and the cartel...I have seen the evidence of sea shell trading and other items in human history but it seems that those all had some value in the context of an established economic system.

In the absence of such a system, or in the interim in between the collapse of one system and the establisment of another I just can't see that somehow pre-64 dimes are going to be barterable. There are folks out there buying up truck loads of 'em just because Rawles said so. That just seems off to me.

Like you said, I could however imagine taking bullion and other hard forms of precious metals in trade for my excess in the hopes of having something of value when the economy recovers or is restablished. But only if I am fed, clothed and secure first.

Maybe I'm just short sighted...or dense. LOL.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and yours will have to live through the first week, month, year, decade before gold or silver will be worth anything to more than a select few who you may never come into contact with in the first place. Where are you going to barter your gold or silver? Likely not down the street from your house or down the trail from your cabin in the woods. By a couple of months into a long term collapse there are a host of simple 'everyday' items that will be much more valuable than gold or silver and they'll stay more valuable for a very long time. A starving, sick, or defenseless population wouldn't give precious metals a second look.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I called a place that advertises precious metals. I checked out their website and had a few questions. Actually had a decent price on the Silver Eagles.

All I am interested in is knowing about the shipping charges, but the guy goes into his salesman mode.

The guy tries to "walk me over" into a gold purchase.

Yada,yada,yada. Gold is better than silver, gold is more stable, gold has more intrinsic value, gold is the best precious metal.
So, Dave, what are your precious metal plans?

I consider brass and lead to be the most important precious metals.

Crickets.

I don't know if he had ever heard that before. First time I've heard a salesman like that shut up.

Didn't get him off the phone, but we were close anyway.

Dave

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that what drives an army will be what thrives as valuable and, consequently, most needed items in a post macro-scale destructive event. Whether is it a environmental, ecological, terrorist or collapse of social order event is really irrelevant. These items first and foremost are the three B's. Bullets, Beans, and Bandages. Ie.. Ammo, Food and Water, and Medical supplies.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check local coin dealers and get to know them. I think if a collapse happen today and everything went south in a hurry, say a week, then I don't think gold and silver would do you much good. I don't see that happening that fast. Gold and silver are a good investment and a great hedge against inflation, but your not going to get rich quick. Higher inflation will return at some point and it is starting already. Junk silver coins have lowest premiums

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm also in the camp that believes gold and silver will be worthless if SHTF. I'm betting ammo, liquor, and cigarettes will be the best currency.

Agreed! And a cool head that knows how to survive and protect you family and provide food and water for them. Be willing to work hard and grow, raise and/or hunt for your food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom