Gold, Silver or Ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For part of an investment strategy I can see gold and silver as part of a portfolio.

I'm not sure why everyone includes the gold part for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenarios.
It always seems to me that in this case, gold would sort of be like carrying a $100 dollar bill was back in the 60s.
No one had change for it.

I can see gold for "quietly" moving funds from one country to another because it would be easier to move larger amounts and be liquid. And, I think it would be harder to find 10 gold coins vs a large wad of cash.

Dave

OKprep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I try and keep around $50 to $100 face value of pre 1965 coins on hand. I think it will be a lot easier to use these than any type of gold piece. However, a sound plan would include the silver
AND several thousands of rounds of ammunition.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For part of an investment strategy I can see gold and silver as part of a portfolio.

I'm not sure why everyone includes the gold part for SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenarios.
It always seems to me that in this case, gold would sort of be like carrying a $100 dollar bill was back in the 60s.
No one had change for it.

I can see gold for "quietly" moving funds from one country to another because it would be easier to move larger amounts and be liquid. And, I think it would be harder to find 10 gold coins vs a large wad of cash.

Dave

How many silver dimes would it take to buy 40, 80 or 160 acres? A milk cow? Or maybe a solar power system when TSHTF?

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that gold and silver have little trade value after TSHTF. I work with a guy that disagrees and says I am planning for a total and complete breakdown of society. Well, he is right. But he says, what if the breakdown is not total and there is simply a chaos of rampant inflation? In this scenario, he says his gold will have great value. Of course I told him, no mater the severity of TSHTF, if he does not have enough guns and ammo he will not have his gold long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom