Gold, Silver or Ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKprep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many silver dimes would it take to buy 40, 80 or 160 acres? A milk cow? Or maybe a solar power system when TSHTF?

I would think in most scenarios that land would take many years to start selling again as we know it today. In fact, land may be the thing that is readily available due to the fact that so many people could potentially die off from starvation, violence, disease, etc. As far as milk cows (and other livestock) are concerned I would venture around $20 fave value of silver, but who can really know. Ammo and other goods are your best bet there I would think.

Solar Power? If its my system I guess I'd give it up for one bullet, but you would have to put it between my eyes when I was't paying attention....

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many silver dimes would it take to buy 40, 80 or 160 acres? A milk cow? Or maybe a solar power system when TSHTF?

Good question. I don't know.

How much does a milk cow cost today? How much does it cost per year? How much can it generate?

But, if you are talking about a complete and total break down....if you have 10 cows and alot of land, but not enough ammunition you might be in a trading mindset. Maybe you'll trade me a few gallons of milk a week for every coyote that I shoot for you.

I don't know.

I hope I never have to find out.

Dave

ZMan762x51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought the exact same thing. When I have friends ask if I invest in Gold or Silver "just in case" I reply I invest in lead. I think ammo would be more valuable and easier to trade in a bad situation and help provide food and protection. Plus if all the doomsday predictions don't come true, you still get to enjoy shooting it!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say that if the world were in real dire straits, ammo would be worth way more than gold/silver.

OK so you have a hunk of shiny metal...big deal. Gold/Silver is only worth something in a world where the monetary trade system is still relevant. I have ammo that I can use to kill animals to feed my posse and those who threaten my lifestyle, whatever poor situation that happens to be at that point in time haha.

The question to me would become, what calibers would be worth the most? To me it would be the stuff non-crazy prepper people have guns chambered in that don't have hoards of ammo waiting. So 12 GA, 20 GA, 30-.06, .270 WIN, .243 WIN, .308 WIN, .223 REM, 7mm, 9mm, .45 ACP, .22 LR. Those are the main popular ones I could think of, basically anything that Walmart carries.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say that if the world were in real dire straits, ammo would be worth way more than gold/silver.

The question to me would become, what calibers would be worth the most? To me it would be the stuff non-crazy prepper people have guns chambered in that don't have hoards of ammo waiting. So 12 GA, 20 GA, 30-.06, .270 WIN, .243 WIN, .308 WIN, .223 REM, 7mm, 9mm, .45 ACP, .22 LR. Those are the main popular ones I could think of, basically anything that Walmart carries.

Actually, if you were looking at ammo as a barter item (and this JUST struck me) wouldn't it be a good idea to have some NON-traditional calibers sitting around?

After all, there has to be someone out there with 8mms, 7.62 x 54s, 356 Winchester, 45 LC, .454, etc.

I'm not saying go out and stock up on the weird calibers, but if one were to think about "investing".....

Dave

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since all the possible events we are prepping for are theory's of what may occur, why not prep for all situations? Having precious metals and jewels worked for the Jews in Nazi occupied Germany who traded for food and favors with the German soldiers. I don't think its crazy to have hard currency which may be useful in a number of situations.
That said I still prep ammo, guns, hunting supply, food and water. But if your worried about a barter society something I haven't seen mentioned on most prep sites that would be a huge ticket item in shtf...VICE! Grain liquor, tabacco and possibly old prescription drugs, I think alot of people would be suprised what an someone would give for a cigarette, or shot of whiskey or an old script pill.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VICE! Grain liquor, tabacco and possibly old prescription drugs, I think alot of people would be suprised what an someone would give for a cigarette, or shot of whiskey or an old script pill.

Although I'm totally opposed to smoking and illegal drugs, and am a teetotaler, I have to agree with this. People will trade a lot of things for a smoke, a swig of liquor, or a few Vicodin tablets. Waving a pack of cigarettes, or a couple of those airline bottles of whiskey, can produce a good trade.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If nothing else having some odd caliber bullets may allow one to trade for the gun cheap and then re-trade as a package for a premium. Non-narcotic drugs are likely to have some nice value. Blood pressure and diabetes pills would be handy to keep around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom