Good bipod that won't break the bank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So my Rem 700 is off to D&T for a muzzle brake. Not sure how long it will take to get that completed and I'm fully prepared to be patient. that means turning to the AR10 as my coyote gun, which is fine with me. BUT, that sucker is heavy and I'm going to need to be moveable on a large platform as we call them in, seems like a bipod is the appropriate piece of gear to use here.

The rifle is an DPMS Classic in .308 with A2 rifle length handguards and gas block. Can you recommend a bipod that won't break the bank, and won't fall apart after 30 rounds?

What would ya'll recommend?

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. I bought a couple of Caldwell cheapos a few years back, never again. Since then I bought 2 Harris bipods....first one was just the 6-9 inch one, which was fantastic for bench and shortgrass field shooting. Then I upgraded and got one of the HB25S 12-25inch expandables with the swivel neck......and oh my goodness what an awesome bipod. You can just feel how well made they are, should last a lifetime.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided on my next rifle I'm putting an Atlas. I've researched the Harris, Atlas, and Bobro (hard to find). The Atlas is $$$$ but can't find any flaws, and a little cheaper than the Bobro.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at an atlas real hard not to long ago to replace my harris. Having seen several in person I have decided that I'd rather get the notched leg harris. The atlases I looked at were all loose approx 1.5 inches of movement on the bottom of the bipod when fully extended and rattled when walking with them...
--Mech

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I'd see how I liked a bipod on my LR-308 so bought a Blackhawk (similar to Harris except for the price) that I saw at Wal-Mart on the theory that I could easily return it if I didn't like it. It's been just fine from the bench and doesn't add so much weight as to make shooting offhand any more difficult. Here's a link to the one I have:

BLACKHAWK! Sportster Pivot Bi-Pod, 9"-13"

You'll need a sling swivel stud to mount it to. WM sells this one:

BLACKHAWK! Sportster Bipod Picatinny Rail Adaptor

That stud adapter requires rails, though - I'm using the OEM handguard without rails, so I use a Harris #5 adapter. I had to do a little filing on the center stud to compensate for the DPMS handguard being a bit thinner than a standard A2 handguard, but after that it provides a solid mount point for the tripod and an attachment point for a QD sling swivel when the bipod's off the gun.

#5 Adapter fits AR-15 round handguard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom