Good day at the range.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the wife out to Red Castle Friday afternoon. Our son met us there. We had the plinking range to ourselves, which is always nice. Place was pretty deserted actually. We heard a few shots from the benchrest range, and it sounded like somebody might have been up on the skeet range.

We had a chance to try out a few new things. The wife tried her new lightweight AR. She was OK with it, but still prefers her Colt. After trying the Geissele SSA trigger in my rifle, she decided she needs one too. Anybody know of any deals on a SSA or G2S?

I had two lever guns to try out, a Rossi Rio Grande .45-70 and a Marlin 336C. Both were a hoot to shoot. The Rossi will wear at the shoulder after a while. A friend just sold me a Kimber Pro Carry II that was excellent. We also got to shoot a PPK in .380 that we got recently and the LCR that I got in the reddog1 giveaway last year. Another friend had just sold me a CZ-82. The wife claimed it before I had a chance to shoot it.

Sorry about the rambling, but it's been a while since I could really get out to shoot, and we all had a great time.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also made it out, twice.
Saturday almost had it to myself.
Monday went with the son-in-law, we shot 22-250, 280, 30-30, 35 Rem, 444, 450, 45-70, and a couple others I can't remember. Anyway we both went home with sore shoulders.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The LCR shoots surprisingly well. My meager shooting skills have slipped way too much and I need to get out a lot more. We had stopped a couple of years ago when ammo got scarce, then I broke an ankle last year and was down for a while. It was good to get out there.

How are the Saturday crowds at Red Castle these days? I had quit taking the wife there because some of the newer members who joined up during the boom of 08 and 09 made me a little nervous with their lack of safe gun handling and general lack of etiquette.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are the Saturday crowds at Red Castle these days? I had quit taking the wife there because some of the newer members who joined up during the boom of 08 and 09 made me a little nervous with their lack of safe gun handling and general lack of etiquette.

Still pretty crowded, and they seem to have matches going on most Saturdays. The cowboy folks sometimes close the plinking range when they have a match, so be sure and check the match schedule before heading out there on any given Saturday. Even Sundays see some matches.

As as for the, um, inexperienced shooters... I see them now and then, though not as much as I used to. Then again, I haven't been going out there much lately, and when I do, it's early in the morning on Sunday. I avoid most of the crowd that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom