Got another gill-gun (Springfield 87A)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got yet another click-clack/gill-gun. This is a 1945-1948 Springfield 87A.
Gave her a good cleaning and found she had a mismatched magazine follower. Swapped the follower for a spare from my parts bin and she cycles like a champ.

Now I just have to figure out what the follower that came with it goes to.

20180115_202248.jpg

20180115_202311.jpg

20180115_202351.jpg

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm up to 5 complete and working ones and 1 "parts rifle". And no, I am NOT addicted..... :blush:
The funny thing is that all but the first one were bought as "parts rifles" and then it keeps turning out that they are easily repairable.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Nice!

I have one. I just want to find one of the box mag versions. With the lockable bolt it would make a great suppressor host IMO.

And like a lot of the old .22s there is enough room in front of the sight to thread without having to relocate.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!

I have one. I just want to find one of the box mag versions.

That would be the Savage Model 7 or the Stevens 85. Just MAKE SURE the magazine is included. They can be difficult to find.

I need to find a Sears Ranger 101.16 (jc higgins model 101.16) variant and I really want to find the OTASCO variant.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That would be the Savage Model 7 or the Stevens 85. Just MAKE SURE the magazine is included. They can be difficult to find.

I need to find a Sears Ranger 101.16 variant and I really want to find the OTASCO variant.

Yeah, a lot of the old .22 box mags are that way.

Thanks! I didn't realize the savage 7 was one also. I knew of the Stevens 85.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of the old .22 box mags are that way.

Thanks! I didn't realize the savage 7 was one also. I knew of the Stevens 85.

Savage 3 / Stevens 83 - - Single shot / Bolt action
Savage 4 / Stevens 84 - - Box feed / Bolt action
Savage 5 / Stevens 86 - - Tube feed / Bolt action
Savage 6 / Stevens 87 - - Tube feed / Semi Auto
Savage 7 / Stevens 85 - - Box feed / Semi Auto

There are also variants under the Springfield name. They appear to follow the Stevens Model #'s but I cannot confirm this 100%.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe next summer I'll dig out and sell some of these. I got 20-30 disassembled around here in a storage container.
I'm never going to do anything with them.
I got thousands of gun parts from 20+ years in the gunsmithing biz I need to get off my butt and sell.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unrelated but since you seem to be into these...my great grandpa had one of these he kept behind the door of the mud room. After he passed, the house was passed on to my grandparents and then purchased by my parents, and the rifle stayed there the whole time. Went to shoot it last year and it got stuck open, so I took it home and it needed a thorough cleaning from sitting behind the door for decades. Dried lube/dust, what have you made a mess in there. When I took the stock off, he had the receipt between the barrel and barrel channel of the stock from when he bought it. I thought that was kind of cool.

I went to the house this weekend to check on a few things for my dad and noticed the original owners "manual" is sitting in the cabinet still, about 2 feet from the door it has always lived.

Latest posts

Top Bottom