Got some practical shooting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well in kind of found this part of our forum as I was making my post so I moved it here. I thought this was what this side was for.

Easy one, pretty versed in shooting, guns and such. I am considering a cz shadow2 or TO2, but that is the short list for a buy, and will figure out if I need double or single action shooting for what I want or shoot. (This is basically because the guns are amazing not just to practice shoot)

Base question is: can I do practical shooting with a glock 34/35 or is a 17 enough, the 17’s I see are toran guns and so do have longer sight radius and such. If I buy a new Gun (I have a 35). I would get an mos and out a vortex red dot on it. Any guidance? I don’t think I necessarily need to do any of the above, shoot what I have, but if a fella wanted to or what did /do you use for practical (not 3 gun) just Move from station to station and shoot as quickly as possible

Thanks gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lost the ability to use a RMR. My astigmatism is so bad and uncorrectable in my old age. You may be young. So my suggestion if you’ve not tried one yet, try one to see if you can use one. Astigmatism causes the dot to star burst. You may or may not know such. I also have seen that it does take some getting used to, but most adapt fast.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well in kind of found this part of our forum as I was making my post so I moved it here. I thought this was what this side was for.

Easy one, pretty versed in shooting, guns and such. I am considering a cz shadow2 or TO2, but that is the short list for a buy, and will figure out if I need double or single action shooting for what I want or shoot. (This is basically because the guns are amazing not just to practice shoot)

Base question is: can I do practical shooting with a glock 34/35 or is a 17 enough, the 17’s I see are toran guns and so do have longer sight radius and such. If I buy a new Gun (I have a 35). I would get an mos and out a vortex red dot on it. Any guidance? I don’t think I necessarily need to do any of the above, shoot what I have, but if a fella wanted to or what did /do you use for practical (not 3 gun) just Move from station to station and shoot as quickly as possible

Thanks gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually the best answer is to shoot what you have until your current gun (within reason) is the limiting factor. You may be restricted to a division (limited, production, open etc) of a discipline (USPSA, IDPA, etc) with the gun you have might that might not be optimum. But shooting the match and building the skills is more important than finishing at the top of the leader board.

Barrel length for sight radius is not a factor anymore if you are going to put a red dot on it. And even without a red dot, it a is minimal difference of sight radius. 6-3/8” vs 7-1/4” comparing my 17 and 34.

GSSF just introduced a new MOS division to the outdoor match this year. I had a 34 with a dot on it, but but didn’t want to put the trigger back to stock as I have been shooting perfect scores with it in the indoor matches. I had a new 45 MOS in the safe so I put a red dot on it for the new division. In testing, target transitions feel a bit quicker than my 34, but it may be all in my head. It sure feels light when I swing it.

My recommendation is to not buy a gun yet until you chose a discipline and are happy with that division. Shoot your first match with the 35. A “34” Gen 5 holster will work with the 34, 35, 17, 45, 19, and several others. Mag pouches will also work.

If you want to move and shoot, USPSA is a good discipline around here to do that. If you want to use an optic, then you will want to focus buying equipment based on the “Carry Optic” division. A single action gun is not permitted and would bump you to “open”. Stay away from open. :)

Without an optic, “limited” division might be a better choice for someone new to USPSA as there is less state planning involved. Scoring is considered favorable to “major” power factor calibers and your 35 would work great for that.

Don’t get too caught up in the hardware end, as 90+% of it is going to be shooter ability.

Latest posts

Top Bottom