Got some practical shooting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lost the ability to use a RMR. My astigmatism is so bad and uncorrectable in my old age. You may be young. So my suggestion if you’ve not tried one yet, try one to see if you can use one. Astigmatism causes the dot to star burst. You may or may not know such. I also have seen that it does take some getting used to, but most adapt fast.

53, thanks for thanks for this thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Listen to the Professor. A basic handgun and holster will get you started. Some people think it’s the arrow instead of the Indian. I’ve been guilty of chasing the latest and greatest but the truth is a basic stock Glock is good enough for my abilities. Those shiny STI’s sure are pretty though. Kind of like golf, photography, or any of my other hobbies. It’s fun to buy fancy equipment but it’s not necessary to make the shot. If I can convince myself of that I’d have more money and less stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Basically just listen to mad professor, he’s the local authority and knowledgeable. He’s everything I’ve ever wanted to be, and he owns a Cadillac
Note he said he owns a Cadillac not drives one ;)

"Don’t get too caught up in the hardware end, as 90+% of it is going to be shooter ability."

Um, but I have far more fun throwing money at the 10-% gear than the nut behind the trigger.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listen to the Professor. A basic handgun and holster will get you started. Some people think it’s the arrow instead of the Indian. I’ve been guilty of chasing the latest and greatest but the truth is a basic stock Glock is good enough for my abilities. Those shiny STI’s sure are pretty though. Kind of like golf, photography, or any of my other hobbies. It’s fun to buy fancy equipment but it’s not necessary to make the shot. If I can convince myself of that I’d have more money and less stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked a lot better missing and going slow with my SVI over my XD or Glock
(This is the lie I keep telling myself)

In reality, I shot the same no matter what the gear, as the gear never has or will be my issue :D

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a pro by any means, but I'd say go with what's most comfortable for you to shoot.

I'm guessin' ya don't need any more distractions/anxiety in a match than is absolutely necessary.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was never competitive in the USPSA or Steel Challenge mix of shooters, but I enjoyed it and had a good time. Met a lot of good folks at the matches. I consider myself a recreational shooter and the matches were a lot more fun than standing inside a gun range lane.
My advice, Just Do It, yes I stole that :)
Shoot what you got and have a good time. Ask questions, never met another shooter out there that wasn't willing to help.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was never competitive in the USPSA or Steel Challenge mix of shooters, but I enjoyed it and had a good time. Met a lot of good folks at the matches. I consider myself a recreational shooter and the matches were a lot more fun than standing inside a gun range lane.
My advice, Just Do It, yes I stole that :)
Shoot what you got and have a good time. Ask questions, never met another shooter out there that wasn't willing to help.

Many competitions have ways to evaluate your skills. While we may not ever get to the top, it’s all about having fun and working on our skills. It’s fun to find peers to shoot with that are better than you. You learn a few things here and there and it gives you a bit of satisfaction when you start beating those guys that were so much better than you a year before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom