Got the itch again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the itch to get the camera back out and play around. It's been a good year plus since I've used my good camera. Nikon D5000.

These first pics are of custom knives made by 2 of our local forum member knife makers:

My 3 KaBars

Multi-tool with Casio Pathfinder

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excat,

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, the pictures of knives and stuff are well done, but the images seem to be cluttered with too much "other stuff." It takes a bit before one actually focuses on the knives. The first thing I saw in the first picture was the truck model.

Otherwise, you Nikon is doing well for you and you've composed well.

Terry

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good pics!

Thank you sir!

Excat,

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, the pictures of knives and stuff are well done, but the images seem to be cluttered with too much "other stuff." It takes a bit before one actually focuses on the knives. The first thing I saw in the first picture was the truck model.

Otherwise, you Nikon is doing well for you and you've composed well.

Terry

I appreciate you taking the time to critique. I was aiming for a bit of the clutter. I'm really limited by my lens right now in being able to achieve what I was trying for. I like the distorted clutter in the background to draw emphasis to my focal point, but my lens focal distance and aperture ratings really limit me, as far as to how much distortion I can get. I can only get down to an f/5.6 and really need to be a lot lower than that for what I'm wanting to do, or have a focal distance min half of what my lens currently is. I've thought about getting tube extensions to help, but I really want a few good fixed lens. They are a lot of money I don't have right now though. That's why I put the camera up for a while, out of frustration.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, so you planned it that way. Good idea on trying to get all but the subject out of focus a bit.

Just as an experiment as to see what would work for you, consider going out to Yukon's Main Street to Baker Photo and Video. They have lenses that you can rent to see which ones would work best for you. I took a "Mastering Your DSLR" class out there and got to play with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for my full frame D700. In your case, a good 50mm f/1.4 might work to allow greater aperture control. Of course, I'm thinking Nikon lenses, but you might prefer another brand. They rent all kinds of equipment.

When you do more, post the images here. I'd like to see your "evolving" of pictures.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, so you planned it that way. Good idea on trying to get all but the subject out of focus a bit.

Just as an experiment as to see what would work for you, consider going out to Yukon's Main Street to Baker Photo and Video. They have lenses that you can rent to see which ones would work best for you. I took a "Mastering Your DSLR" class out there and got to play with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for my full frame D700. In your case, a good 50mm f/1.4 might work to allow greater aperture control. Of course, I'm thinking Nikon lenses, but you might prefer another brand. They rent all kinds of equipment.

When you do more, post the images here. I'd like to see your "evolving" of pictures.

The 50 f/1.8 is one of them that is on my short list, along with a good 35mm :-) I want Nikon lens, I'm biased, lol.

I've always liked the effect playing with depth of your photo does, unfortunately, it does take nice equipment to do a lot of them. I was also only using natural light, no on board, or light boxes or anything. Macros is another thing I'd like to get into...but that's a whole other ball game, lol.

I'll definitely have to remember that place when I get the finances, that way I can rent before I make a final decision to buy. I appreciate that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom