Gotta love the SHTF threads!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its always caught me as funny when folks start talking about what, and how much they are going to carry during something like these. I guess its ok if your planning to hold up in your home, but really have some of you given any thought as to how much this stuff weighs if you bug out. I know we have vehicles, and most of us keep our tanks full, but if thats all you've got, and lets say there won't be a resupply like in an EOTW type event, just how far do you think you can carry all the things your going to need. 1000rds of .45acp, well folks thats 100+lbs right there, and only a few pounds less for the same amount in 9MM. Now thats not counting your other needs that will also be on your back. Everything from food to T.P., to water. We haven't even covered that 8lb superdooper, everything but the kitchen sink "assault rifle" that your planning on running and gunning with, and all the ammo your going to need for that. Planning on lugging a couple of thousand rounds for your fav rifle?? Some of you really need to pack all this stuff up an try and wear this. Just make sure someone else is there when "I've fallen and can't get up"!

Not trying to pick any fights, just trying to get your brain cells wrapped around the idea that your going to have to pack light. You can ask around to all the other folks on here who have spent time in the US Army, and Marines what its like to march 12, 26, 40 miles with 65 to 95 pounds, sometimes more, in their ruck, lug two to three canteens of water, webgear, rifle, and ask them how easy it was. I don't think to many of them, myself included, are going to state "Man that was fun, when can we do it again"!!!

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right on about the weight. Only, try it with guys with their 10+ AR with all the fixins', or their 308 MBR. We'll carry everything but the kitchen sink...unless the roads are clogged, or we run out of gas.

There's a few "woods bum" types that advocate going light. Including a 22LR or 22mag as their SHTF survival gun.

The other thing is in one of these threads someone piped up to the effect: what makes you city folk think you are going to head for the hills, set up camp and live off the land? We're already here, and we don't want you here. :)

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything from food to T.P., to water.
Its called the Left hand/s**t rag/discarded Sears catalog/one of the 8 million copies of the Oklahoman chucked in the vague direction of a yard 4 years ago. Katadyn and MiOx, bro.:wink2: I'm a gear-queer, but I'm not married to any of it. If you can't set fire to it & walk away if you need to, the priorities are a little off.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its called the Left hand/s**t rag/discarded Sears catalog/one of the 8 million copies of the Oklahoman chucked in the vague direction of a yard 4 years ago. Katadyn and MiOx, bro.:wink2: I'm a gear-queer, but I'm not married to any of it. If you can't set fire to it & walk away if you need to, the priorities are a little off.

This made me LOL ... be kinda hard for me to set fire to GC (I am sure he will be glad to hear)! Guess as long as he is working I am stuck here because I am certainly not leaving without him. :police2:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the same thought a few times myself L. Most important commodity is water.
You're gonna run out of steam pretty quick if you're dehydrated.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SHTF WHAT?

I love when people start saying its going to be a Nuke and they have their PACK ready - uhhh last time I checked....not much a PACK is going to do for ya if a Nuke comes...

Latest posts

Top Bottom