Grip shape, 1911 vs. 1911A1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m talking about the shape of the back strap on a 1911. The original was flat with a sharp acute corner at the bottom, while the A1 model had a curved back strap with a slightly rounded corner.

Why do so many modern 1911’s have the flat back strap? In my hand, the A1 back strap feels miles better, but whenever I look for a full sized 1911, I see so few with the A1 grip. Why do makers seem to favor the original grip?

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wondered that as well. If you didn't know the history, you'd think the A1 was the historical one, not the improved model. I bet there are dozens of good comparable examples, but it would be just as confusing if the side loading revolver had been invented but 96% of new sales were still single action. That wouldn't make sense either.
However, I still firmly believe a good bob is the best of the 1911 world, but my S&W SC1911 E-Series is still an underdog.
20200302_131104_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I do not get the modern fascination with flat backstraps at all. As noted, the arched mainspring housing was one of the improvements made to the original 1911 design, but it seems like everybody has decided to unlearn that lesson. It’s not just 1911s; it’s even being applied to the crunchentickers.

To each his own, I suppose, but to me, it’s taking a big step backwards. Those flat backstraps almost universally leave the pistol in a natural nose-down attitude in my hand, where the pistols with curved/arched backstraps generally naturally point better.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you mean the curved back strap, Dan Wesson has an “A2” model which appeals to me, and several other companies also have a version of the 1911A1 model.
Yeah, I shoulda put, "affordable" LOL I cant see myself paying over $1k for a pistol.

He does make some nice guns and would love to have one just to have. Just dont see it happening, at least not for me. Would give one as a gift though

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flat MSH feels best in my hands and I never have issues with proper aim. Also, I think it looks much better than the arched housing. If I happen to purchase a pistol with the arched housing, I will replace with the flat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom