gun clubs in oklahoma & the NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i goto the gun range atleast once a month, most the time more than that.
been looking into gun clubs lately and the benefits of joining. competitions and matches sound fun, seems like a good way to make some pro-gun friends also. isn't there some that you can get access to a private gun range once your a member right? im just wondering what the costs are and if it will be cheaper and better in the long run to join a gun club since i would be able to goto a gun range without having to pay all the dang time. i have noticed that the ones i have seen require you to be NRA member. i kind of have an issue with that because the NRA is not really for the second amendment in my opinion. there is better pro gun organizations out there that truly stand for the second amendment and with 0 compromise i would feel much more deserving of my money. again this is only my opinion, but i see it much like the current status of the health care industry. they will not treat people with cures because they can not make money off healthy people. so much like the health care industry the NRA actually wants there to be panic and fear to get more members and make as much money as possible and thats all it is i feel. they supported a bumpstock ban and red flag gun laws. so i am kind of against a organization like that as it seems they really just exist to want to make money, as opposed to actually fighting for our rights. they had alot of opportunities where they could have done something good for the 2nd amendment and they just stood by and did nothing. a good example is the hearing protection act.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to recap, if you want to join several "club type ranges", join the NRA. If you don't wish to join, try to find public or private ranges. Not hard, you just have to decide which you wish to do. There is a lot that the NRA does that isn't advertised, but if it ain't your thing, cool. I really can't think of any other entity that has over 4 million members, but I get it! They don't really serve how I look at it most the time, but at least they are there!

Last edited:
Reaction score
not really sure if i want to join to be honest, kind of just wondering about the ones others are currently in. the costs and if its worth it to be able to use the ranges they have. dunno. honestly just kind of curious about what its like. as often as i shoot and as many guns as i own i would think i would be in some kind of gun club but im not.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is, over 13 action pistol bays, two 100 yard multi-use ranges, a benchrest range out to 300 yards. A shiloete range out to 550 meters a high power range out to 600 yards and all of it accessable to members everyday of the year.......but you have to be an NRA member. Choice time!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is, over 13 action pistol bays, two 100 yard multi-use ranges, a benchrest range out to 300 yards. A shiloete range out to 550 meters a high power range out to 600 yards and all of it accessable to members everyday of the year.......but you have to be an NRA member. Choice time!

What??? - No mention of the 5 Skeet fields, 2 trap fields, and 5 stand. And, I’ll throw in a comment for the Cowboy Action guys - a bunch of shooting bays and a re-creation of downtown Dodge City. [emoji3]

Reaction score
well see i did not know they even offered anything like that at all! i have only had the opportunity to goto short distance gun ranges in my area, furthest one i have been to is the 100 yard range out at banner so that does sound cool.

isnt this club somewhere near arcadia? i mean that is not that far from me but i live in oklahoma city area right now.

i might have to look into it if i get another mosin nagant as i would like to pick one up and eventually go hunting sometime for deer season.

i know there was some gun ranges that went out past 200 yards but those were all really far, like a hour or two away from okc.

if i were to join the NRA i would have to do the lifetime membership... it makes the most sense to me. no nonsense or worrying about yearly or monthly fees whatever the cost is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so i goto the gun range atleast once a month, most the time more than that.
been looking into gun clubs lately and the benefits of joining. competitions and matches sound fun, seems like a good way to make some pro-gun friends also. isn't there some that you can get access to a private gun range once your a member right? im just wondering what the costs are and if it will be cheaper and better in the long run to join a gun club since i would be able to goto a gun range without having to pay all the dang time. i have noticed that the ones i have seen require you to be NRA member. i kind of have an issue with that because the NRA is not really for the second amendment in my opinion. there is better pro gun organizations out there that truly stand for the second amendment and with 0 compromise i would feel much more deserving of my money. again this is only my opinion, but i see it much like the current status of the health care industry. they will not treat people with cures because they can not make money off healthy people. so much like the health care industry the NRA actually wants there to be panic and fear to get more members and make as much money as possible and thats all it is i feel. they supported a bumpstock ban and red flag gun laws. so i am kind of against a organization like that as it seems they really just exist to want to make money, as opposed to actually fighting for our rights. they had alot of opportunities where they could have done something good for the 2nd amendment and they just stood by and did nothing. a good example is the hearing protection act.

I’ll try to explain the reason NRA membership is required at some ranges.
I was Vice President of the Ponca City Rifle and Pistol club for 3 years and President for 4 years before resigning this year.
NRA membership is required to become a member of our range. The NRA provides the liability insurance for the range.
Our membership fees are $180 the first year and $80 per year after.
While President we had a couple members that didn’t renew because of some issues they had with the NRA. I had the same feelings, so I went on the hunt for range insurance through a couple gun friendly independent insurance agents.
The cheapest they could come up with was $125,000 per year which would wipe out the clubs budget forcing closure.
The NRA range insurance is in the very low 5 figure range that we could afford to keep the gate open for members and have money to keep making improvements.
I hope that answers your questions, so now you have to make the decision on what you want to do.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My club requires NRA membership too. We have several events through the year that get NRA support. I have some issues with Wayne whatizname and I think he needs to go.

The NRA is always begging for money and if you keep your ears open, you can get a discount on a Lifetime membership. When I first started shooting competition in the 80’s the Lifetime membership was $1k. I got mine for $300.00 ten years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom