Gun Maint - Lube, solvent, rust preventative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and Bore Cleaning Solvent has been the gold standard.

here's a formula that works equally well ... very easy/cheap to mix.
mix 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid.

practical machinist claim this mixture out performs kroil
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-penetrating-oil-196347/

mix up in a pint glass jar, then dispense in smaller container.
plastic oil bottle with retracting tube works great.

acetone penetrates tightest joints, carrying automatic transmission fluid with it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil and Bore Cleaning Solvent has been the gold standard.

here's a formula that works equally well ... very easy/cheap to mix.
mix 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid.

practical machinist claim this mixture out performs kroil
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-penetrating-oil-196347/

mix up in a pint glass jar, then dispense in smaller container.
plastic oil bottle with retracting tube works great.

acetone penetrates tightest joints, carrying automatic transmission fluid with it.

So would this be a cleaner, but not a lubricant?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually both... normally penetrating oils are normally not good for lube. acetone the penetrating carrier will evaporate, leaving automatic transmission fluid behind which is stable.

automatic transmission fluid has been recommend for freeing up sized pistons for years. acetone accelerates penetration.

for guns would only use this mixture when a penetrating fluid is needed. for general purpose around heavy machinery... been using this mixture on all moving parts that need lube with good results.

have had exceptional results freeing frozen nuts/bolts with this mixture. best of all it's dirt cheap and works the better than any commercial product.

here's a pic of glass jar for mixing and dispenser. purchased bottle on left from Steve's wholesale just for the bottle. very important to use bottle that seals tight. acetone will evaporate.
[Broken External Image]

So would this be a cleaner, but not a lubricant?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I still use red USGI ( lubriplate) in the Mini 14, Garand, and pistol slides and revolver basepins.

Solvents... Ed's Red, Hoppes 9 Sweets for copper fouling

This^^^^^^! Only thing I'll add to that is cleaning my BP guns. Right after shooting they get sprayed down with windex. Once home the hot soapy water drill, but the windex prior makes it alot easier. I also do the same with the windex to any gun that I may have shot corrosive ammo through.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This^^^^^^! Only thing I'll add to that is cleaning my BP guns. Right after shooting they get sprayed down with windex. Once home the hot soapy water drill, but the windex prior makes it alot easier. I also do the same with the windex to any gun that I may have shot corrosive ammo through.

some times it's good to be old and cheap like Leighton and me, fellas.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hoppes #9 to clean all my guns, oil/rust preventive is the Hoppes elite oil and then use Slide Glide on the contacting point of the slide or bolt.

This combo has worked extreamly well in all my guns so far. I just bought all 3 weights of the slide glide for different applications and calibers and put it on using a super cheap brush.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
grew up using hoppe's no.9 until i dicovered shooters choice gun grease for slide rails and break free clp for everything else. although after seeing what some of you more experienced folks use on your guns i may start tryin every thing i can.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Leghton has the clue on windex, especially if you're shooting corrosive ammo.

For lubrication, I find the below to be simple and easy. Got it at my local John Deere dealer for about $2.00, I think. Don't ask me what PTFE is; probably hydrochloric acid. Okay, Okay, I looked. It's teflon.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom