Gun Maint - Lube, solvent, rust preventative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read articles in the past that said to not use any penetrating oil because it would soak through the ammo and cause failures. Has this changed?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You shouldn't use any oil on ammo, or so much oil on your gun that it could soak into the ammo. But, yes, oil will ruin ammo if left in direct contact too long. I once had some .22 ammo that went "squib" because of this (it took a few years).

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes only use penetrating oil when faced with a neglected gun full of rust. did a royal stupid last season... killed a deer with my Knight Disc Elite, a one MOA black powder... then put it away in my gun safe without cleaning.

flat forgot about it... next season rolls around... barrel, bolt, etc rusted solid... what a mess!!! took a few days of soaking with 50/50 acetone/ATF to get back in working condition. needless to say it'll never be the same again.

I've read articles in the past that said to not use any penetrating oil because it would soak through the ammo and cause failures. Has this changed?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ballistol works with corrosive ammo as well. Just mix it up in the "Moose Milk" configuration.

I use these formulas. It just depends on what I'm cleaning or lubing.

Moose Milk #1: 1 cup water soluble machinist's oil, 1cup Murphy's Oil Soap, 8 cups distilled water, 2 ounces Ballistol, and then shake well!

Moose Milk #2 8 parts H20, 2 parts Ballistol.

Mule Snot: 2 ounce Ballistol, 8 ounces 91% Iso Alcohol, shake well & shake well before use. A little goes a long way.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weapon Shield is awesome stuff. Invented by the guy who invented CLP. Told that comp. To stick it , made a better formula and started new company

yes it is awesome...

good stuff for cleaning and lubing ar15?

if referring to weapon shield - yes I use it on everything from an LCP, SR9C, AR15, my 30-30, etc.

I definitely like it

Latest posts

Top Bottom