Gun Permit Applications Surge Nearly 1,000% in NY Jewish Comm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
School me, do you have to have a permit and show it to the gun store before purchasing?

Yes, coupled with a waiting period. California is the same way. Cali has different wait periods for hand guns and long guns. I want to say handguns is 30 days and long guns is 10 days. I am not sure what the wait times are in NY.

ETA: You say permit as if its once size fits all. When we say permit we typically mean a CCW permit. In both NY and CA you must have a permit to simply own and possess a firearm. Its called something like a "Firearms Owners Identification Card" (FOID). That enables you to be able to buy and own guns. It doesn't permit you to carry them. Thats what we'd all know as a CCW. NY and Cali will for the most part issue FOID's. Almost impossible to get a CCW.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, coupled with a waiting period. California is the same way. Cali has different wait periods for hand guns and long guns. I want to say handguns is 30 days and long guns is 10 days. I am not sure what the wait times are in NY.

ETA: You say permit as if its once size fits all. When we say permit we typically mean a CCW permit. In both NY and CA you must have a permit to simply own and possess a firearm. Its called something like a "Firearms Owners Identification Card" (FOID). That enables you to be able to buy and own guns. It doesn't permit you to carry them. Thats what we'd all know as a CCW. NY and Cali will for the most part issue FOID's. Almost impossible to get a CCW.
The current waiting period for long guns and hand guns in CA is the same at ten days (which is actually down from a 15 day wait until around 2005-ish).

I thought the FOID was an Illinois thing. CA doesn't require a permit to own a gun, though I'm sure the thought has crossed a few minds in the capitol. In order to take possession of a firearm (whether buying or borrowing when the owner isn't present) a person must have a "Firearms Safety Certificate" (aka "FSC") which requires a passing score on a test and a fee of $25. The FSC is valid for 5 years, and as you point out, doesn't grant one the right to CCW. But the FSC is not required to simply possess firearms that one already had in their possession.

CCW is really weird there. Issuance requires "good cause," but the definition is totally at the discretion of the county sheriff. Some will issue for "defense of self and others" (essentially shall-issue) while others will only issue to movie stars and golfing buddies (the Orange County sheriff issued to campaign contributors and eventually ended up in the federal pokey for it, so apparently there is a line that shouldn't be crossed). Once issued, a CCW is good state-wide, even when traveling to areas that don't issue to their own residents.

Overall the laws there are pretty bad (don't get me started on the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale"), but I'm not familiar enough with NY, NJ, or MA laws to comments on which is worse. As a resident from 1975 until I crossed the wire in 2012, I do know CA laws pretty well and with friends and family still there I try to keep up on the changes. And just for the record, my arrival here did not make OK any bluer.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good for the Jewish community and those that had the grits to get a gun! They have to protect themselves, the cops can't be everywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom