Gun safe for an apartment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My gun collection is growing to the point that I'm contemplating a gun safe. I live in a third floor apartment and I don't know if I'd be able to attach the safe to the structure. What would you recommend?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an Idea...
Get a Job-box from Home depot and screw it to the floor (or wall vertically). A couple of decking screws thru carpet could be removed without damage when you leave.

If you wanted to harden it up a little and make it more fire resistant then you could line the interior with heavy plywood.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My gun collection is growing to the point that I'm contemplating a gun safe. I live in a third floor apartment and I don't know if I'd be able to attach the safe to the structure. What would you recommend?

I recommend you find out if you can bolt it down or not. If you can, that's swell. If you can't, your options are limited, as a safe large enough and heavy enough to be secure on it's own is not gonna work on the third floor of an apartment building.

I would be happy to gun-sit for you, if you'll provide sufficient ammo, as in 100 rounds per gun, for me to routinely test, on let's say a weekly basis, in order to ensure that all are still in good working order.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Irish mobster Whitey Bulger was living in a California apartment when he was finally captured.
He reportedly had holes in the walls (covered by pictures or mirrors) to hide some guns and $800,000 in cash.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you were allowed to secure a safe to the floor. Granted, you'd like to believe that someone hauling out your safe from the third floor might be reported before they got away..

I think I'd try to hide them more than lock them down.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might bolt a few pieces of 3" or 4" channel iron to the safe (use grade-8 carriage head bolts, with nuts on the inside the safe). Perhaps put them as runners on the bottom.

The goal is to make it a spidery thing that won't fit through doors or windows without removal.

They could eventually grind/drill the bolt heads, but given enough time they can also remove one that's bolted down (just ask @druryj).

Just a thought... :drunk2:

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make an under the bed safe that's hidden and fairly secure. The safe it's self if the bed frame. I can't remember the name of the company but I've seen it on the internet. Out of sight and hidden is the best.
Search google for: Bedframe gun safes....

Latest posts

Top Bottom