Gun safe that you can assemble at home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there were some discussions about a gun safe that you could buy that came dissembled and you could assemble it in your home.

Does anyone remember the name of the brand? I remember it having a western style name.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

I have one. We bought ours at the time, because we knew we would be moving at least once if not multiple times in the near future (we moved twice since then). And two, because it was a fair capacity / weight for the cost. At the price point, I basically found via my reading, that basically all safes are mediocre at best when it comes to security and fire protection. So it came down to size / $, and weight / $. As far as security, it seemed (I haven't personally tried to break into it or any comparable safes, lol!) to compete on most points, and the door is recessed, so it'd be hard to pry on, there is a lip behind the hinges, so cutting off the hinges won't help you break in. Finally, the company that "makes" Dakota is in Tulsa. I put that in quotes, since many of the larger parts are sourced, some from out of country, but they assemble and test in Tulsa. We visited them, they showed us the warehouse, the fire test room, etc. One last straw for us, was that they said they would take care of their customers, and they have. They also offer an expansion kit, which I'm thinking of getting.

All that said, if you're not tied to the ~$750 neighborhood budget, move up a bit, and you can get a better safe. I would also recommend buying a non-modular if you're going to be in one place for a long time. One of my dislikes on the Dakota, is that it isn't sealed due to the panels being bolted together. As I said, it competes with the comparably priced competition, with the plus of being modular, and therefore easy to move. If you know you will be moving, that may mean something to you. I was in college, so I knew I would be moving at least once, probably twice, in the coming few years, so it did to me.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dakota Safes, that was the one I was trying to remember. Thanks!

NikitaKimber, I plan on probably having to make two moves in the next year, so transportability and the flexibility of being apartment friendly are two big factors for me right now. I appreciate the user review.

Latest posts

Top Bottom