H&H match sunday night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot carry guns (slowly, compared to regular competetors). Usually 1911's or Smith Wesson Revolvers.

I have hesitated shooting IDPA or USPSA "sanctioned matches"... at this age "joining" just doesnt have the appeal it did in the past.

While it may be true that the $40 you spend to join USPSA supports the shooting sports, you DO NOT have to join USPSA to shoot at the matches. I am not a member of either NRA or USPSA right now even though GC is.

Please don't let these guys dissuade you from coming out. Their just afraid you're gonna skin them! :pms2: It is a lot of fun ... I still show up and I can't even shoot right now.

Bring your 1911 and shoot single stack or your revolver and shoot revelover (duh! lol). While it is not formal training by any stretch of the imagination you will become a better gun handler just by virtue of the little timer going "BEEP" LOL You won't be sorry.

(I'll bring cookies and pecan brittle just for you ... Just PM me ... :bighug:)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The match was fun. The peanut brittle was awesome. Please send me the recipe. Thanks to all who made this work.

I am ashamed to say that it is so sinfully easy you guys won't be impressed anymore ... but here goes ...

Patti's "Name Your Favorite Nut" Brittle

1 to 1/2 cups of your favorite nut :P If you toast them first it really enhances the flavor but you don't have to.

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

Microwave, on high, in a glass bowl (this is important!) for 2 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon (this is also important!)

Return to microwave and cook on high until bubbly ... usually 1 to 3 minutes depending on your microwave's wattage. Our microwave is old. I cook mine for 3 minutes.

Stir (with that wooden spoon) in 1 tablespoon of real butter -- no margarine. (This is important.)

Return to microwave and cook on high for another 3 to 5 minutes until golden amber in color. Not too long ... it will be so hot it will continue to cook for a bit after you take it out.

QUICKLY (yes, this is important lol) stir (again, with a wooden spoon) in

1 teaspoon of real vanilla

and

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

BE CAREFUL ... the baking soda will make it bubble up and turn cloudy.

Spread QUICKLY as thinly as possible onto a very liberally buttered (the real stuff) cookie sheet. Let cool ... Crack and enjoy!!

Once you get the hang of it you can be from start to finish is about 15 minutes ...

I have made this brittle with pecans, peanuts, cashews, mixed nuts, walnuts and pine nuts. They all turned out pretty good but the pecan stuff is addictive ...

One last thing ... you can use whole nuts or chopped nuts. If you chop the nuts yourself you will have a little "nut flour" -- the really fine shavings -- mixed in with the bigger pieces. That seems to add a very rich undernote to the brittle. However, YMMV ...

So ... there ... my secret is out!! You guys enjoy!!

Oh, one last thing ... It would behoove you to have a pot of boiling water on the stove. As soon as possible place the bowl and spoon in an empty sink, add some dishsoap and pour the boiling water into the bowl. Let it set until the water is cool enough you can put your hand in it to clean. That stuff is like cement when it cools! LOL

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blasphemy!!!

You better keep bringing treats or the NRA will get you.

Jeff you don't need to be a member but it's fun to get classified and compete with yourself to improve your classification.

Ehh ... they'd give me back! :popcorn:

I was a member of both while I was shooting but since I can't shoot consistently anymore I just kinda let them lapse. GC is a member of both ... does that help?? :contract:

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another OUTSTANDING match at H&H! Thanks to Shannon, Mike and everyone else that works hard to make this a "must shoot" match EVERY month!

On a side note, my ridiculously inexpensive Rock Island 9mm 1911 ran like a top last night! Who says ya gotta spend a lot of money to play this game?!?

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another OUTSTANDING match at H&H! Thanks to Shannon, Mike and everyone else that works hard to make this a "must shoot" match EVERY month!

On a side note, my ridiculously inexpensive Rock Island 9mm 1911 ran like a top last night! Who says ya gotta spend a lot of money to play this game?!?

Mitch, I think I'd like to turn my springfield 1911/9mm into a comp gun as well. What holster/mag pouches do you recommend? Tony, I'll ask you the same. PM or call my cel if you'd like.

#threadjack over#

Latest posts

Top Bottom