H&R or Rock Island Home Defense Shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to possibly pick up an H&R Home Defense or Rock Island M5 12 ga. Any feedback on which shotgun to go with? Is one platform better to modify than the other?

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you must buy a cheap shotgun, a Maverick 88 might be the better way to go. After that statement I will let you know that I found my Remington 870 Turkey Shotgun on gunbroker for $220 with less than a box of shells through it. It has the 21" barrel so its fairly nice for home defense.

[Broken External Image]

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&R Pardner Pump Protector. Wal-Mart in Edmond has them for $160. They are made by Norinco and if you look at some of the online reviews they are supposedly made with better metal than the Remington. I had one, sold it and now Im going to go buy another one. Everything for the 870 will fit other than mag extensions

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke I'm in the same boat as you except I'm trying to decide between the RIA M5 and the Interstate Arms 982. The 982 is the same Norinco 870 clone as the H&R, but the 982 has the ghost ring sights. I have HEAVILY researched both shotguns, and they are both excellent shotguns, and IMO way better quality than the Maverick 88.

With the H&R/982 being an 870 clone, parts will be plentiful. The RIA m5 is based on the Hi Standard Flite King, which is an awesome shotgun in it's own right, but parts will be harder to find. I did see that Numrich does have parts for the M5 on their site.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&R Pardner Pump Protector. Wal-Mart in Edmond has them for $160. They are made by Norinco and if you look at some of the online reviews they are supposedly made with better metal than the Remington. I had one, sold it and now Im going to go buy another one. Everything for the 870 will fit other than mag extensions

Remington barrels will fit on the Noricos. Mag extensions will fit will take some modifications, they will just be a little short or a little long.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke I'm in the same boat as you except I'm trying to decide between the RIA M5 and the Interstate Arms 982. The 982 is the same Norinco 870 clone as the H&R, but the 982 has the ghost ring sights. I have HEAVILY researched both shotguns, and they are both excellent shotguns, and IMO way better quality than the Maverick 88.

With the H&R/982 being an 870 clone, parts will be plentiful. The RIA m5 is based on the Hi Standard Flite King, which is an awesome shotgun in it's own right, but parts will be harder to find. I did see that Numrich does have parts for the M5 on their site.

Have you been able to locate the 982 for sale locally? If so, what was the cost? I do like the sights much better than the standard bead and the use of 870 parts is a huge plus.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only ones I've seen locally have been at the gunshows. I've seen them there for around $260ish. Online (Bud's) I've seen them for as low as $179.99. They seem to be out of stock at the moment at most places, but I bet it won't be long before another large shipment comes in.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick comment. I have an IAC 982 and am very happy with it. I paid about $210 for last year, which means it must have been about $180 plus shipping and FFL fee.

Just to throw another gun in the mix, I just looked and Sooner Pawn (via Davidson's) has an IAC 981 for $160. It looks similar to the 982, with a picatinny rail instead of ghost sites. Doesn't work for me, but might be just what you are looking for. Currently no 982's in stock.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick comment. I have an IAC 982 and am very happy with it. I paid about $210 for last year, which means it must have been about $180 plus shipping and FFL fee.

Just to throw another gun in the mix, I just looked and Sooner Pawn (via Davidson's) has an IAC 981 for $160. It looks similar to the 982, with a picatinny rail instead of ghost sites. Doesn't work for me, but might be just what you are looking for. Currently no 982's in stock.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

Where'd you buy yours at? I know Buds sells a tons of them. Another Norico worth mentioning is the Savage / Stevens 350 Pump Security. It's another all steel Norico clone, this one a clone of the Ithaca 37.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
academy has the H&R for around $180ish and I believe reddog sells the RIA for $200 out the door(not positive on the price). I've owned the H&R, great shotty. I currently have a mav 88 20" with extended magazine. I added the blackhawk spec ops recoil reducing stock and it's awesome. total I have about $300 in it and it functions great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom