H&R or Rock Island Home Defense Shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CHL,

The screw size is M4. Depending on what length of M4 screws they have at your local hardware store (5mm, 7mm, 10mm, etc...), you might have to grind them down to proper length that way the screws don't protrude down into the inside of the receiver and interfere with the bolt. I think 5mm is the correct length that won't require and grinding/dremeling. The screws that I bought were 10mm as that was all my local Lowes had in stock. I used my belt grinder to get the proper length. I pulled the old screws out, degreaed and then put the new screws in with blue loctite.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and the smaller windage and elevation screws can also be replaced (or just loctite them down at the range once you have it zeroed, which is what I did. I probably will replace them out as well when I have the time) if you want. I'm pretty sure they are M3 and M2 screws. Not sure on the length, but you would probably have to grind them down to proper size, using the original slotted screws a guide.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like Fastenal does carry the screws. I looked up the M4 screws and they carry an M4-0.70x6mm black oxide flat head socket cap screw for a whopping $0.06 each. They also have the set screw...haven't checked the other screws yet.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got home and unwrapped the 982. Looks like the trigger guard is plastic.:uhwhat: Might have gone with the H&R if I knew that they had done away with the metal trigger guards...

Sanjuro...have you added any accessories to your's yet?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luke I have a scattergun Technologies 870 mounting plate. But I'm thinking about trying out one the single point sling options. I'll probably also be adding a heat shield and maybe a side saddle at some point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom