Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look forward to shooting the Bersa some more this week. As I have thought about it, here are some more opinions I have on the Thunder Plus. It has a lengthy double action trigger pull, and single action is creepy. But these don't figure into the equation, because it's like shooting a .22 and there's not going to be any recoil. You can pull the trigger kind of fast and still stay on target. Also, I favor the button magazine release at the base of the trigger guard, as opposed to the heel release of the Mak. The mag will pop right out when the button is pushed using the right thumb.

But it is the caliber - so much like a .22LR, that I favor when shooting from 75 feet. While I can run .380 through my 9x18 Maks, accuracy is wanting, and the bullets keyhole the target. I have recovered .380s that I've ran through the Maks and there isn't even any rifling visible on them. Also, I have placed a spent .380 into the barrel of a Mak and it will slip right through it on its own.

I think the Bersa Thunder Plus deserves the benefit of a doubt and the only problem I have with it is the stubborn decocker. That is truly my only gripe. I've worked with it but it is still stout. Even after applying gun grease.

Edit: It is now after 7PM. I have been working the decocker sporadically ever since I shot it late this morning. It has smoothed out significantly and while still stiff, is much more workable. Decocking the hammer using the thumb is much easier now.

On another note, I ordered bulk ammo through Cabelas the day before I ordered the Bersa through Buds. Buds got the pistol to my FFL yesterday, whereas the ammo didn't land in OKC until this evening. I won't receive the ammo until sometime tomorrow.

i.imgur.com_JWnAfH4.jpg

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My .380 ammo got here late yesterday evening. I went down below and ran a box of 50 through the Bersa .380 Thunder Plus a few minutes ago. The problem I had initially with the decocker was gone. The decocker functioned just fine and I had no problem with it at all.

i.imgur.com_xLhT3O7.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The failures kept adding up. I received good practice in clearing the weapon during these malfunctions. It may seem comical, but it is important to be able to clear the weapon and get it back into action. That is why I will keep it. That is the only reason I will keep it. There will be no Cerakote in its future. I will not purchase additional magazines, nor will it ever have Trijicons. I will not carry it as a BUG.

i.imgur.com_UVh1IMy.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

i.imgur.com_o6H3orQ.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Edit: Next week I intend to have a little shoot'em up between my Bersa .380 Thunder Plus and my Glock 30SF. There will be photos of the competition between the Glock and the Bersa. There can only be one winner in this contest of accuracy and reliability. Which will be the winner? YOU will be the ones to decide, OSA!

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Junior, I follow your write-ups with enthusiasm! That Bersa is a nice looking gun; I can see the influence of the Walther PP series in that gun if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom