Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Junior, I follow your write-ups with enthusiasm! That Besa is a nice looking gun; I can see the influence of the Walther PP series in that gun if I am not mistaken.

Well, the Bersa is a fun gun. The Makarov is a carry. I wanted the Bersa to be a carry - with that 15+1. But it is too finicky with ammunition. The Makarov shoots everything I put through it.

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice sites on that little Makarov and look forward to seeing it again it`s done.

I had to wait a couple of weeks for the Makarov to get back from Novak's. But they sure did the Cold War relic proud. It is at the gunshop right now, awaiting the application of Cerakote. It looks like I'll be able to pick it up the Thursday after next week. It becomes my backup pistol from that point on. I have two other Makarovs, but they are the commercial IJ-70s which have that adjustable sight notch milled into the slide. Unfortunately I couldn't find Trijicons to fit those slides. So, that's why I ordered a military Makarov - so I could send it in and have a set of night sights installed. Novak had to mill dove tailed slots into the front and rear of the Bulgarian in order to get the Makarov to accept the Trijicons. But man, it was worth it. They glow real good, too. I have caught flak on other sites for paying nearly as much for these sights as I did the pistol. But it is my backup gun.

i.imgur.com_yW4xHmG.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Royalty check going to help the Sioux. The Oglala Lakota college on the Pine Ridge Sioux Reservation has a fine RN program. So, the Remington 1858 New Army plays a big role in my next one. I bought a Pietta replica to get a feel for it. I'll tell you what, this had to be a last ditch weapon. Lemme load up some pics, here.

i.imgur.com_OCX02pN.jpg

i.imgur.com_DfvQlm1.jpg

i.imgur.com_5E25Ttg.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A spare cylinder was included, and it's a good thing.

i.imgur.com_ootXLs0.jpg

This baby is ready for the range tomorrow.

i.imgur.com_AM1XgCr.jpg

i.imgur.com_D1uaEf2.jpg

i.imgur.com_6drjRjh.jpg

The New Army has a good balance and feel to it. But I've never shot a cap and ball before. I watched Hickock45 shoot this same one, and have tried to follow his lead. I'm using those wafers over the powder to prevent a chain fire. I had to pinch the caps to seat them on the nipples.

i.imgur.com_aIbDRqm.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A person would have to be in dire straights to bet their life on one of these. I post the pics as they happen. I don't sugar coat anything. Simply because I own a particular weapon doesn't give me the right to lie about it and gloss it over.

i.imgur.com_FHJIVAx.jpg

i.imgur.com_MnWkqn2.jpg

i.imgur.com_isQZnr9.jpg

The hammer would flatten out the percussion cap and bind up the cylinder.

i.imgur.com_gaIHFK7.jpg

But if this bullet had stopped further up in the barrel and I had shot again, a catastrophic failure would have resulted.

i.imgur.com_akINqdp.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whoa!
Did you lube it, don't see any lube in your pics.....be careful with that thing... ;)
It certainly took a man to shoot one of those

and 1........2

No, it was bone dry before I loaded it. I did it all by the numbers. I'm sure the cap and ball fanatics have special tools for getting those spent caps out of the way real quick to unbind the cylinder. Nevertheless, this was considered top of the line in 1868 when the story takes place. Now, I watched lots of YouTube videos on this particular replica, and oh - theirs shot just fine. Well, mine didn't. Loading is not quick and easy either. Honestly, I think a flint lock pistol might be more reliable. Now, this is my first go with a cap and ball. I had the Tom Dickens of a time wrasslin' that cylinder out with that ball stuck in the barrel.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, see, I believe your supposed to lube the boolits, helps them seal and come out easier
And the caps are too big, if you have to crimp them on , they may be the wrong ones
Someone will come along soon....Thanks for posting it

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I crimped them. Big time. but they still flattened out and bound up the cylinder. It needs a Number 10 priming cap, but all I had were the 11s. The patches are prelubed. I'm sure with practice things will get better. But I would hate to use one of these in a life/death situation in the 19th Century.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 6 weeks, I got it back this morning. New hammer spring, Trijicon sights, and an application of Cerakote. This baby is ready to go to the range!

i.imgur.com_XXN4oMH.jpg

i.imgur.com_dQeXHzj.jpg

The "Circle 10" Bulgarian military Makarov marking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom