Hangman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this You Tube video of a movie about the British executioner who hung 202 of
the German war criminals. Very interesting and I would like to see the whole movie.

Albert Pierrpoint-Execution of Nazi War Criminals

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this You Tube video of a movie about the British executioner who hung 202 of
the German war criminals. Very interesting and I would like to see the whole movie.

Albert Pierrpoint-Execution of Nazi War Criminals

It's on youtube.

An FYI: Albert Pierrepoint, some claim was the hangman at the main Nuremberg trial in 1945-46. This is not true: that was MSGT John C Woods of the US Army. As I understand it, Woods was an incompetent hangman. I hear that quite often the men he hanged died from strangulation rather than a broken neck.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's on youtube.

An FYI: Albert Pierrepoint, some claim was the hangman at the main Nuremberg trial in 1945-46. This is not true: that was MSGT John C Woods of the US Army. As I understand it, Woods was an incompetent hangman. I hear that quite often the men he hanged died from strangulation rather than a broken neck.

Yes that's what was said at the beginning of the video, the american hangings were a disaster and the brits wanted a pro for their hangings.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the rope was too long, it resulted in snapping the head off the person being hung.
My sister is the family historian that discovered a relative that got hung in Clayton New Mexico which suffered that issue.
Black Jack Ketchum. His family founded Ketchum Ok on Grand lake but he turned to a life of crime.
The entire history of Blackjack is on the walls of the Elkund Hotel and restaurant in Clayton NM. We stopped in there to eat and immediately called my sister to show her the photo's.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/11/23/the-hanging-of-black-jack-ketchum-didnt-go-as-planned/amp/

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the rope was too long, it resulted in snapping the head off the person being hung.
"Too long" means too long for the subject's body weight and structure. ;)

What might be too long for a fat guy (resulting in a beheading), might be too short for a skinny one (resulting in a strangling).

As with most trades, there's a bit more to it than meets the eye. :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Too long" means too long for the subject's body weight and structure. ;)

What might be too long for a fat guy (resulting in a beheading), might be too short for a skinny one (resulting in a strangling).

As with most trades, there's a bit more to it than meets the eye. :drunk2:
Yep, hanging to death is an acquired science. The knot knocks out the person, then they expire if done correctly.
Oklahoma can still hang someone.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone did something heinous enough to be hanged, I don't care how they expire. If in the end they are dead, it was done correctly. Why on earth do we care about killing these criminals with as little pain as possible? They never gave the same thought to their victims.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone did something heinous enough to be hanged, I don't care how they expire. If in the end they are dead, it was done correctly. Why on earth do we care about killing these criminals with as little pain as possible? They never gave the same thought to their victims.
Death is sufficient punishment, I think; there is no need to inflict physical pain as well.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister is the family historian that discovered a relative that got hung in Clayton New Mexico which suffered that issue.
Black Jack Ketchum. His family founded Ketchum Ok on Grand lake but he turned to a life of crime.
The entire history of Blackjack is on the walls of the Elkund Hotel and restaurant in Clayton NM. We stopped in there to eat and immediately called my sister to show her the photo's.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/11/23/the-hanging-of-black-jack-ketchum-didnt-go-as-planned/amp/
According to a couple of sources, his last words before the trapdoor opened, were "let 'er rip." And it did.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Inflicting unnecessary pain on even the most heinous villain is, in the end, still cruel and inhumane. Death takes care of the bad guy; but to purposely cause pain by such methods is to lower oneself to the most base levels. It's just not right. Kill 'em; but kill 'em quickly and spare them, and yourself ,who has to live with your actions, unnecessary suffering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom