Have a good friend that was an engineer/designer for GM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a friend, years ago, who was just smart. I don't mean smart I mean SMART!. He's the guy the smart guys go to when their stumped.
Got his masters and a PHD. He studied what interested him till he got bored. Anyway, I knew he had worked for GM for a short time and was involved in designing vehicles. He moved on but I'm sure he had some impact with what they made. He's just that smart.
I thought about him today when I was trying to change the plugs on a 2012 Silverado. I thought about him when I spent the better part of 3 hours getting on plug out and replaced. Had to build my own redneck tool to finally get it done.
As I sit here, with bloodied arms and bruises everywhere, I'm thinking about getting in touch with the little twink and invite him to come visit. Like to show him the scars on my arms and stomach. Then I want him to explain why the hell you put the AC water drain pan right in front of the rear plug when there's tons of space to put it over for easy access. I want to know who the hell thought this was a good idea.
Then I'll ask him to leave. He can find his own way back to the airport.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's your friend, he will give you the honest answer: So shade tree mechanics cease to exist. When cars were simple people didn't use dealships much. Once they started putting in all the sensors, ECM's and making the engine bay a nightmare to work on, people started going to mechanics and dealerships more often. My first three cars never saw a paid mechanic. I used my Haynes manuals to diagnose and fix any problem they had. My first new vehicle was dealership maintained as we my 2010 Soul and my 2017 Soul. Now days, just too much crap to work with. If I had a pre-85 car I would go back to doing all my own wrenching.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with that. Once you get past FVMSS and CAFE, it has to do with one thing: how does it go together on the assembly line? Repairability is not a consideration, one way or the other.

That's exactly right. It's all designed for the body to drop onto the assembled drive line.
I've always said that before an automotive engineer ever sits down in front of a computer, they need to work for a year as a mechanic.
During my tenure at OG&E, fresh engineers out of college worked with the plant crews on daily maintenance jobs for a couple of weeks prior to their graduation to an office chair. I think that gave them some pretty good insight about what the guys faced in their daily duties.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always said that before an automotive engineer ever sits down in front of a computer, they need to work for a year as a mechanic.
Oh, you've never heard anyone gripe about a design engineer until you get a couple of field engineers going. They all agree that you shouldn't be allowed to do design engineering until you've worked in the field.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of a 1990 Chevy LC1 Caprice I had for awhile. To change the two rear spark plugs, you had to jack it up, take the front wheels off and run a long extension underneath the front wheel wells.

I agree that they are designed to put the shade tree mechanics and DIY owners who are trying to save money out of business. I’ve often said that the people who designed them never had to work on them.

It’s an evil greedy plot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone should spend some time on a newer combine. Break downs are rare compared to the older machines, but Lord have mercy when they do happen. Not only is it remove 20 parts to get to the broken one, a lot of those parts require two sets of hands or the strength of two men, while there's only room for one to work.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It ain't just the new stuff... :D

I was a mechanic at the local Ford and Chevy dealers in the '70s, and design engineers were a sore subject even back then... especially regarding heater core and AC evaporator placement, though some sparkplugs were also a nightmare (big blocks in Mustangs come to mind).
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom