Have to love old Marlin 22lr rifles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally pulled one of my "project" rifles out to see how it shoots before I go all in on fixing it.
This one is a 1978 Marlin Model 99c (Same as the Model 60 but with a walnut stock and brass inner mag tube).
The front sight is missing, the bullseye in the stock is missing, the butt stock is cracked, and it's filthy inside. I put a cheap BSA scope on it that has seen better days itself and didn't even clean the rifle. I then punished it with about 100 rounds of Thunderbolts that were 10 years old and had questionable storage history.....

I made through with only a few failures to extract on what were obviously under powered rounds. (Thunderbolts suck!!)

----------------------
This is the target at 50 yards, trough the woods, with a somewhat stable rest, questionable 4x scope on a set of old $3 air gun scope rings, and HIGHLY questionable ammo...
2" group not counting the flyers. (1 was obviously under powered and 1 hit a tree branch.) I'm satisfied under these circumstances.

20201129_151059.jpg

And here is the rifle.

20201129_203656.jpg

20201129_203724.jpg
20201129_203831.jpg
20201129_204007.jpg
20201129_203928.jpg

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rough old rifle but it appears to shoot decent so it might be worthy of some rebuild work.

My thoughts exactly. I'm probably not even going to bother with the front sight and will just leave this scope on it. I'll repair the stock, give it a good cleaning, and call it done I think.

My youngest was able to hit 4" targets at 55-60 yards without issue just as it is.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember going to a gun show at the OKC Fairgrounds years ago, maybe 20 to 25 years ago, and some pawn shop gun seller had a table. He brought one of those big plastic trash cans, similar to the Uline 42 gallon ones you see at Home Depot. That big trash can was FULL of Marlin 60's, muzzle down, butt stock up, take your pick, 3 for $100.00 I kept an eye on his table, he didn't sell hardly any. I had looked at them, they all looked good to me, at least cosmetically.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, cleaning it was an adventure. It took me almost 2 hours to throughly clean.

There was so much gunk that the holes in the action side plates were filled in. Everything was pitch black and I have no idea how it functioned at all. It was even built up under the stock line and was thick enough you could scrape it with a finger nail. I don't think the stock has been off it in years or maybe decades.

To clean it properly I had to take the action apart and scrub everything inside and out. While I was there I went ahead and replaced the recoil buffer.

It definitely cycles better by hand and even lightened the trigger pull a bit.

Clean your firearms my friends. As Mark from Anvil would say, "Do the maintenance!".

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, cleaning it was an adventure. It took me almost 2 hours to throughly clean.

There was so much gunk that the holes in the action side plates were filled in. Everything was pitch black and I have no idea how it functioned at all. It was even built up under the stock line and was thick enough you could scrape it with a finger nail. I don't think the stock has been off it in years or maybe decades.

To clean it properly I had to take the action apart and scrub everything inside and out. While I was there I went ahead and replaced the recoil buffer.

It definitely cycles better by hand and even lightened the trigger pull a bit.

Clean your firearms my friends. As Mark from Anvil would say, "Do the maintenance!".

It looks like Numrich carries most of the spare pats for your mdl. 99C / the mdl. 60's.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/marlinglenfield/rifles-marlin/60-new-model

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom